Hacker Pschorr/Schneider Weisse Clones?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewinginct

Reaction score
Since the hot weather is right around the corner I've decided that I want to brew a wheat beer for my second beer.

I'm really into Schneider and Hacker Pschorr's weisse beers and want to brew a clone of either of their beers. I love how they do the traditional wheat/hefeweizens, and the prospect of drinking a fresh clone of their beer in the hot summer sun sounds perfect.

One thing to consider is that this is the second beer that I will have brewed. Ideally I would like to brew a clone of one of those beers with just extract, but if it is absolutely essential to brew them using partial grain then I should be able to pull it off.

I spent a lot of time looking around this site and googling for a good clone without any luck. I did not find any clones, the closest I found was the Ed Wort Bavarian Hefeweizen. I'm sure that it's a delicious beer but I really want to brew what Hacker Pschorr/Schneider make, and want to do a clone that as accurate/authentic as possible.

Does anyone have recipes/suggestions to make an extract/partial grain clone of either the Hacker Pschorr/Schneider Weisse?

I don't have any suggestions for where to turn, but I can say that Ed has never let me down. His Haus Pale Ale has become my house pale ale, and me and Apfelwien have a love-hate relationship that is probably not healthy. If you can't find a kit that you like I wouldn't hesitate to try his recipe. His directions are also spot on and make the whole process painless.

You can make a perfectly good wiesse with extract, I recommend dry extract. I am not an extract brewer and cannot recommend a brand but look around and see if people like one more than the others. If you can get a german brand that would be better probably.

Fermentation is everything, and I mean everything for this style. I use 3068 (which is the wehenstephan [the brewing school not the brewery] strain) and have fermented at 62 (per Jamil Z) and also pitching at 58 and rising to 65 (per Gordon Strong's NHC winning hefeweizen from last year) and had excellent results from both.

If you are serious about brewing this style well, consider investing in temperature control. A digital temp controller is about $70 and you should be able to get a small freezer off of craigslist for < $100 (I bought mine new for $150).

RIBeer - I'll probably go with Ed's recipe if nothing like what I'm looking for comes along. All I've ever read are positive reviews of his brews, and everything really is so straightforward

remilard - The set up your describing really doesn't cost as much as I imagined it would. I still have so many brewing supplies on my wish list (a wort chiller, a pot large enough to do a full 5 gallon boil) that I'll have to put the freezer/temp controller on hold. Luckily my basement stays at around 65 degrees, maybe even a little less, so I could perhaps try pitching at 58 and rising to 65

b33risGOOD - I'm right there with you. I can't get enough of hacker pschorr's oktoberfest beer so I'm assuming their weisse will be the amazing/traditional beer that I'm going for.

DaveMcPhee - Thanks for the heads up on that kit. Hacker Pschorr's oktoberfest is the best in my eyes, that'll be fun to brew/age for this coming fall. Unfortunately right now I'm looking for the weisse beer that hacker pschorr makes.

Here's to hoping that someone sees this thread and posts a spot on clone recipe! Also like I mentioned in my original post, I am not opposed to doing this with partial grain instead of just extract. Anything to make this happen!!!

Back