What are the best Raspberries for wine making?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CATFISHER74

Reaction score
I plan on planting a hill of raspberries this spring for wine making next year so which ones are best?
I was looking today to order some never knew there are so many types.

Just wondering, how many bushes are you planning? We planted two that are going on 3 years old but no where near enough for even one bottle of wine. But then again the turkeys eat them too.

I was looking up how far you need to plant them apart because im going all the way along a hundred foot section.

I have been growing about 3 kinds of raspberries for several years now and have 2 new kinds planted last year..
I have in the red color- the lathams- very big berry with great flavor- it took several years and about 60 to 70 plants to get enuf for three pies and a few jars of jam. each plant will multiply quite alot every year, so plant them where they can spread out-- proper planting spacing is about 1 foot apart to start.
most raspberry types are very prolific!
in the yellow I have fall gold and kiwi gold and still only get enuf for a pie each year, but I think that it is because there are so many of us just standing out there eating them as they are very sweet.
I have the purple one called Royalty- that is one of the new ones and so I can't comment too much on them yet, except that they are big berries with a very rich flavor.
and I have tons of the wild black cap type black raspberries that are actively trying to take over the whole yard and the neighboring yards, but if kept watered they produce tons of big rich, but seedy berries that are best stewed down and strained to get many of the seeds out-- they are going to be prime candidates for wine this coming season.
I hope that this helped a bit-- so far my lathams are best for cooking/pie/jam and are a bit sour for fresh eating, but they spread and produce quite a bit.
I would go with half them and half of the royalty purple for wine, if you can get them. Then you would have one half a bit tart and one half rich and sweet.

Back