Hop bags---to squeeze or not to squeeze?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hopheader

Reaction score
Did a brew yesterday and used a hop bag for leaf hops for the first time. My brewing partner figured we should squeeze the bag at the end; I voted no, because you don't normally 'squeeze' hops when they are loose, so....

What do you folks do with bagged hops in the boil?

I say sqeeze and get the oils and good stuff out of the hops.

Don't squeeze the grain bag if you are PM or Extract brewer.

I pull the bag out of the wort and clamp it to the rim, so it will drain back in to the BK, while I'm chilling the wort (IC)

Squeeze with bare hands, and enjoy the smell for hours.

yep, that sounds really bad...

Yeah...sigh...I screwed up.
Booooooooooooooooooooo.

I'm a hophead, so that hurt that I overruled, being the senior brewer of the three.

Guess I should have hit the site here during brew day, hahahah.

I'll let them know they were right. I was wrong. That's life, now I can have a homebrew.

I'm gonna go against the flow here and say don't squeeze. I've squeezed a dry hop back into a glass of the finished beer and have tasted few things worse than this.

I'm gonna go against the flow here and say don't squeeze. I've squeezed a dry hop back into a glass of the finished beer and have tasted few things worse than this.

Yeah but squeezing the bag from dry hopping into finished beer is entirely different. (what did you do anyways, pull it from the secondary of a beer in progress and squeeze it directly into your drinking glass of finished beer?)

The OP is talking about squeezing the hop bag right after boiling, and my vote is to go for it. Might as well get as much of that hop oil that you paid for into that pot. There are no tannins or anything to worry about like with grains.

I've always just thought one shouldn't but in reading this thread I'm gonna treat it like a big tea bag the next time I brew.

Yeah but squeezing the bag from dry hopping into finished beer is entirely different. (what did you do anyways, pull it from the secondary of a beer in progress and squeeze it directly into your drinking glass of finished beer?)

The OP is talking about squeezing the hop bag right after boiling, and my vote is to go for it. Might as well get as much of that hop oil that you paid for into that pot. There are no tannins or anything to worry about like with grains.

floated the keg at a tailgate and took out the hop sack for everyone's last glass.

:drunk:

Back