took trash to dump and acquired 5 kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

staffVAJoe

Reaction score
:D

Now what???

I now have 5 kegs (5 gal) 3 are Cornelius NSDA VS-01, and the other 2 are the kind that PEPSI CO would own (also 5gal Cornelius)

All stored beer professionally (due to Virginia certification of receipt stickers).

1- Should I soak these in oxyclean?
2- Store them with Star San?
3- how do I clean the tube thing in there... do I need to take it out???
4- now do I buy a tap / carbonation kit???

Wow I am as excited and overwhelmed as a kid on Christmas:ban::ban::ban:

I'm not familiar with a certification sticker. does this mean they were certified to have been used for alcohol storage? Just curious.
I would depressure the kegs through the gas tap, take the bail out. Remove the in and out posts and the tubes will slide out. Because I am anal, I would break the posts down. Check all of the o rings and replace them as necessary. Some people change out all of the o rings. If they weren't cut and don't have a strong odor, I'd just clean them up. I would soak all of the broken down parts in the keg with Walmart brand Oxyclean overnight then rinse and dry them. When you break out the tubes, you can see if they have solids in them. Most of the time they don't but you can buy a brush to push through them if they do. I would get a brush anyway because now you will be addicted to kegging and you will need one eventually. Start looking on Craigslist, eBay, and ads on here for a CO2 bottle, regulator, and tap set up. There's no rush. If you filled them today, you're at least a month away from needing to tap them. Post any other questions. Luck - Dwain

+1 on Dwains comments except o-rings - change them all for a very cheap insurance policy against leaks and taste/odor problems. sometimes o-rings look good but they have degraded or been worn down. I have replaced o-rings that look like they have been in the keg for 30 years - time to go. You can buy a lifetime supply from McMaster or Amazon/small parts for very few dollars.

The Registration sticker is issued by the Virginia Department of Alcoholic Beverages.

has the name, DOB. and address of purchaser and needs to be "displayed" on the keg for some reason.

Not sure what the SQUIRT PAK in Holland, MI is but the keg was at the dump.

Back