bottling with siphon

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freddykreuger666

Reaction score
i dont get how im gonna be able to "siphon my beer into bottles" all i got is plastic tubing of about 2 metres long. im gonna use plastic bottles but wanna know how do i get beer to flow into the bottles through tube? cos when i put tube into beer it has to go upwards to get out of the beer first and then down to my bottles. how do i get the beer to mve trhoguh up the tube?

freddykreuger666 said:
i dont get how im gonna be able to "siphon my beer into bottles" all i got is plastic tubing of about 2 metres long. im gonna use plastic bottles but wanna know how do i get beer to flow into the bottles through tube? cos when i put tube into beer it has to go upwards to get out of the beer first and then down to my bottles. how do i get the beer to mve trhoguh up the tube?

ok, first, you siphon your brew into a bottling bucket. this is when you add your corn sugar to carbonate your beer in the bottle. you want to boil about 3/4 a cup of corn sugar in some water, let it cool, then pour it into your bottling bucket, then siphon your beer out into the bottling bucket.

then, you hook a piece of hose onto the bottling buckets spigot, and attatch a bottling tube to it. the bottling tube has a spring loaded valve on the tip that allows the beer to flow out when it is depressed on the bottom of the bottle.

Second, you cant use plastic bottles. you need to use returnable glass bottles with a pop top type cap, NOT a twist top! and they need to be brown glass. light will damage your beer.

how do i siphon my beer into a bottling bucket. and also do i need to use a bottling bucket cant i just not use 1 and siphon straight into bottles. all i got at the moment is ferment bin and some tubing i dunno how to use the tubing

well if you want a big mess on your hands and dont mind running the risk of contaminating your beer, you could siphon right out of the bucket into bottles. But i wouldnt do it.

just get another 6 gallon bucket, install a spigot on it, and get yourself a bottling cane and some tube. shouldnt cost you more than 20 bucks total. you will also need the afore mentioned bottles, crown caps, and a bottle capper.

now, to siphon you will need a racking cane and some hose, or you could just use a chunk of hose. there are several methods to siphon, you can submerge one end into your beer and suck on the other end to get it going, or you can fill the hose with water, put one end in your bottling bucket, and the other in the beer and let it go. make sure the container you are siphoning into is below the one you are siphoning out of.

Do try to avoid using your mouth to start a syphon, as your mouth is a great breeding ground for bacteria. Just for the record, however, I have resorted to that method, and have never had a problem. If you are using a no-rinse sanitizer, which I highly sugest, this is an optimal liquid to fill the tube with to get a syphon started. They also make auto syphon devices, with some sort of plunger thing that you pump to get it moving, and people seem to have good luck with those. And do go and buy a bottle filler, the thing with a little valve that opens when pushed against the bottom of the bottle - without it, you would have to do some tricky crimping of the hose to stop the flow each time a bottle is filled.

Come now mate, haven't you ever siphoned a litre or two out of your petrol tank before?

Siphoning is easy. Hold the hose up against the faucet and turn the faucet on. Water will shoot through the tube and out the other end. Quickly put your thumb over the lower end of the hose and remove the other end from the faucet at the same time. Make sure you hold the faucet end higher than the thumb end so that the water doesn't drain out of the tube. Quickly stick the faucet end of the tube into the beer you want to siphon from. Put the thumb end in the bucket or bottle you want to siphon to. (the bucket you siphon from must be higher than where you are siphoning to.) Remove your thumb. The water that's in the tubing will flow into the bottle or bucket, followed by the beer. Use a clamp or something to stop the flow when you change from one bottle to another, otherwise you'll end up with a sticky mess. Use glass bottles, beer bottles... and make sure they are not the twist off variety. Use a crown capper.

Don't know how to siphon? Geez, and I thought the school system here was letting down the "utes" of America...

"Did you say... 'utes?'"
"Boy, what's a 'ute?'"
"I'm sorry your honor... Yyyoooooooooottthhhhzzzzzz...... Youths."

Back