0 minute hop adddition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerthirty

big beers turn my gears
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Here are my noob questions for the day. What the heck is a 0 minute hop addition? Is this a hopback setup? When I turn the flame off at the end of the boil I immediately pipe it to the chiller. So unless it means using a hopback I don't see anything happening with a 0 minute addition.

Just put your 0 minute hops in when you turn off the heat to the brewpot at the end of the boil.

Hit the books, kid. You'll find in any homebrew text that aroma compounds in hops are extremely volatile and will disappear quickly during the boil. Your 0 minute addition should only add aroma to the beer. Any longer, and the aroma will be lost and your 0 minute addition will be "only for the neighbors".

Hit the books, kid. You'll find in any homebrew text that aroma compounds in hops are extremely volatile and will disappear quickly during the boil. Your 0 minute addition should only add aroma to the beer. Any longer, and the aroma will be lost and your 0 minute addition will be "only for the neighbors".

Correct as in "during the boil". I don't know about your setup when I turn off the heat the boil stops as does most loss of aroma. It still takes time to rehydrate to even release the aroma. Perhaps someone else needs to hit the books, or at least think before posting.

wow, relax, guys. Though the boiling stops, the wort continues steaming, right? Well, that's not just H2O evaporating there;) If you're worried that your dry hops are not releasing aroma in a flameout addition, put them in a cup with some water to get them wet. then dump them in at flame out and dip the cup into the wort to rinse any residue out. Or just add them and wait till they're good and wet to turn the burner off.

Flameout hop additions are pretty common...quite a few of my haus recipes have them.

When you turn off the heat, the temperature doesn't immediately substanitally drop so you still have wort hot enough to isomerize the hops, yet not enough to drive of the volatile aroma oils. So you'll get some definite aroma/flavor benefits from this.....(look at some of the info on here on continuous hopping, or the late hopping methods some people are using where all the hops are added at the end of the boil. Usually starting in the last 20 minutes for an explanation.)

Basically what will happen is you get a nice hit of aroma flavor but the esters don't get driven off at the boil.....

Just drop them in and fire away with your chiller, you'll still get all the benefits while it is pumping through your chiller...OR you could drop them in a minute before flame out.

BUT, I think you are right, in that it is sort of the same thing, in your setup, as using a hopback, except with a hopback you are in effect filtering the wort through the hops, so you won't get hop gunk from it in the "finished" product.....you could use some chore boy stainless scrubby in front of whatever is on the inside of your spigot to filter the hop gunk.

I think Yuri or Orfey has a pic of their setup where they have a dip tube in the kettle side of their spigot and use a little ball of choreboy as a filter.....

Thanks Revvy, I have done many >20 addtions, dryhopped and FWH. But had never done a 0 min addition. Since my wort cooling happens faster now than ever in the past, I was worried about not having enough contact time on the hops unless every bit of wort was contacting the hops as in a hopback. I normally use a 5 gallon paint strainer(so I get lots of flow through the bag) for early hop additions and putting the late additions in there seemed pointless as the spent hops would absorb some of the new volatiles. I will check the searches you recommend.

Thanks Revvy, I have done many >20 addtions, dryhopped and FWH. But had never done a 0 min addition. Since my wort cooling happens faster now than ever in the past, I was worried about not having enough contact time on the hops unless every bit of wort was contacting the hops as in a hopback. I normally use a 5 gallon paint strainer(so I get lots of flow through the bag) for early hop additions and putting the late additions in there seemed pointless as the spent hops would absorb some of the new volatiles. I will check the searches you recommend.

You chill faster now, so how did you chill before, an IC? If so chill for a few minutes before using the CFC.

One of my recipes is based on a commercial beer from NoCal in the mid 90's(SharksTooth) where you cool the wort to 180 and then steep the hops for 30+ mins. I've tried normal 0 minute on this beer and it is not the same.

Back