Have you ever soaked glass in oxyclean too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pmkealiher

Reaction score
And then it gets a crusty film on the inside? I just did that to my primary carboy. How do I get that crap off?

I tried my carboy cleaner that fits into my drill, but that didn't work. It's like cement.

don't do anything rash....a cup of vinegar and a little hot water in the carboy....roll it around inside the carboy....the mild acid will remove the soda ash deposit...a nice rinse and you are done.

note: starsan will do the same thing, but is much more expensive, and the reaction with the base will raise the Ph possibly beyond reuse. Vinegar is cheap..use it and toss it.

I typically put my bottles in oxyclean and then get lazy for 3 days. Never had the film. Though I usually use 3/4 cup per 5-6 gallons. Maybe pbw would take it off. Works for most other things.

I typically put my bottles in oxyclean and then get lazy for 3 days. Never had the film. Though I usually use 3/4 cup per 5-6 gallons. Maybe pbw would take it off. Works for most other things.

the deposit won't always occur...it depends on water ph, and the amount of oxyclean used. PBW won't remove it....any mild acid will remove it with a quick soak.

I've left Oxyclean in my Better Bottles for up to 5 days and have never had any film. I wonder it people that have problems might be using too much. I find about 1/3 a scoop is plenty for 5 gallons.

Water chemistry seems to be a factor.

Back