Sort of old crushed grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
Question. I often order my crushed grain from Austin Homebrew because they allow you to order small amounts and will put it together as seperate grain bills in sealed bags.

I ordered a grain bill for an amber ale a few months ago thats been sealed at basement temp out of the light. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and brew it now? It's mostly two-row with some crystal and flaked wheat. Maybe add a pound of two of extra two-row in case of low conversion?

If it is sealed, you might be fine.

You could try an overnight mash. I have heard of efficiencies jumping 10-15% with that method.

I have brewed with 2 month old crushed grain, sealed, and in my keezer at 34*F and the beer came out great, like it was only crushed a couple hours ago. I dont know what your basement temp is but I bet the grain is still in pretty good shape.

I've done it with crushed grain that was at room temperature for a couple of months. No problems, and got stellar efficiency.

I brewed a kit that arrived crushed in a sealed plastic bag and then sat in my garage with no temp control for at LEAST 6 months. That beer came out great. I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, the brew day went great! 74% efficiency doing a double batch sparge. (For me this is pretty good) It smelled great and although it's hard to tell with wort, it didn't taste stale at all.

I really think Austin Homebrew's crush gives a good yield. I'm going to order my next couple of grain bills from them.

Moisture is the big spoiler for grain. My LHBS mills into paper bags but will use resealable plastic upon request. I do paper and plastic. When I get home, the bags go into a sealed bucket until brew dayas an added precaution. We bought a bag of bird seed once that was loaded with weevils. Finally got them eradicated. Still gonna use the bucket just in case.

Latest posts

Back