Stir Plate of Fjalar and Galar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaylorInOK

Reaction score
Norse Mythology (long story short): The gods created this dude who was super wise and never answered any question wrong. Two dwarves named Fjalar and Galar killed him and Brewed a Mead with his blood in the secondary to create a magic brew that bestowed mega knowledge to anyone who drank it.

This is the stir plate they used on brewday :rockin:

finished1.jpg

The top is norse knot designs and the inner ring is norse futhark runes that spell out "Big Ts Brew House".
finished2top.jpg

Works fine.. only got the funnel to reach the bottom once but that's ok with me. The symbol on the front is the Triple Horns of Odin (symbol for the three drinking horns Odin used to drink the mead after he stole it) and it controls fan speed.
finished3stirring.jpg

Some pics of it under construction, sorry i was a bit lazy and didnt get too many.

Mostly done just laying out and starting on the top.
working1.jpg

Big router for removing most of the wood on top, then went on to the hand tools to carve out the edges and angles.
working2top.jpg

All done except for front speed control and paint.
working3full.jpg

I used the 80mm fan from thermaltake that comes with its own speed control and usb plug with an adapter. 3 x 2 rare earth magnets JB Welded to top.

Some better lighting pics and details:

Top lifts off for easy fan replacement.
xaftertopremoval.JPG

Better pic of the designs on top. Used a dremel and small carving bit then detailed with gloss black paint.
xaftertop.jpg

Better shot of the three horns carving/speed control. This was all hand carved.
xafter3horns.jpg

Thanks everyone :mug:

maida7: Yep I made sure it would fit a 2L flask when i designed it, leaving a 7.75 inch clearance for a flask that big... but definitely not a5L.

Aesthetics aside (it's freakin' sweet!), I like the idea of leaving the fan exposed. I'm using a 110V Radio Shack fan right now, and the heat build-up inside my prototype enclosure is problematic.

Thanks all... it was my first attempt at trying to paint fake marble. Going over some more test patterns and may re-paint it.

Being of Norse descent myself I can only say.... That's the coolest thing I've ever seen! No, seriously, that is too freakin cool!

Back