-39 (minus thirty-nine), I'm going 'lectric

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skagdog

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings from Fairbanks, AK:

It's too cold outside to boil 7 gallons of wort for an hour with propane, I've got to go 'lectric for the winter!!

Step 1
Build a 'lectic BK

Step 2
Don't freeze to death

Step 3
Brew year-round

I've got a few AG batches under my belt and thoroughly appreciate the wealth of knowledge on HBT!

Happy Brewing, y'all!

It's too cold outside to boil 7 gallons of wort for an hour with propane, I've got to go 'lectric for the winter!!

Step 1
Build a 'lectic BK

Step 2
Don't freeze to death

Step 3
Brew year-round

I've got a few AG batches under my belt and thoroughly appreciate the wealth of knowledge on HBT!

Happy Brewing, y'all!

Man I feel for ya, spent February of 91 at the Northern Warfare Training Center when it was at Ft Greely. Beautiful country but way too damn cold, couldn't wait to leave.

Electric is definately the way to go up there.

Brew safe and stay warm!

Happy Brewing, y'all!

You probably don't even need a wort chiller with those kind of temps. Just leave the kettle outside for 5 minutes after the boil and it'll be at pitching temps.
I enjoy brewing out in my brew shed in the winter - temps are usually around 50. The problem come in the summer when it's 105 in the brew shed. I went electric to help keep the shed cooler when it's hot out.

I am doing the same thing here in Iowa... not quite that cold but I don't much like standing outside in minus degree ambient minus wind chill which is usually another 10-15 degrees. My build is on my signature if your looking for ideas... in a week I can tell you if they work or not lol.

bigljd said:
You probably don't even need a wort chiller with those kind of temps. Just leave the kettle outside for 5 minutes after the boil and it'll be at pitching temps.
I enjoy brewing out in my brew shed in the winter - temps are usually around 50. The problem come in the summer when it's 105 in the brew shed. I went electric to help keep the shed cooler when it's hot out.

6 minutes and it's frozen solid :p.

mmm, fairbanks winters. nothing like dark and cold with that horrible ice fog/exhaust mixture floating in the air. The one thing I do not miss about alaska.

Go nooks!

Look into the "PWM show us how" thread, I plan on using that soon.

Man I feel for ya, spent February of 91 at the Northern Warfare Training Center when it was at Ft Greely. Beautiful country but way too damn cold, couldn't wait to leave.

Electric is definately the way to go up there.

Brew safe and stay warm!

Ok what is your name???? Because I too was at NWTC and Black Rapids from JAN - MAR of '91 going through the Winter Phase of Military Mountaineering Instructors Course, went back that Summer to finish the 7 weeks to complete the course and was awarded my "E" ASI.....

Then SSG

Now 1SG(Ret) Kilgore

And YES I miss AK was stationed at Wainwright from '01-'03

RLTW.

Back