Critque my Cascade Pale Ale recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

llamabox

Reaction score
3 lbs 4.8 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract
1 lbs Light Dry Extract
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Munich Malt
1 lbs Honey
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I am still up the the air on the honey. I had debated a light brown sugar instead.

Seems a little light on malt to me. I wouldn't bother with either the honey or the brown sugar.

You might want to try Melanoidin Malt for steeping instead of Munich -- not sure how successful you will be converting that in a partial mash.

In my pale ales I do 85% Pale Malt, 10% 40L and 5% CaraPils with an English Ale Yeast (WLP002).

My IPA base recipe is 82% Pale Malt, 12% Munich 10L, 5% CaraPils and 1% CaraMalt (Union Jack CYBI).

I like approximately even 60m/15m/5m hop additions; shift it to later additions if you prefer bigger aromas. I would also suggest dry-hopping it.

Sorry about the confusion on the low malt. I am doing a 4.5gal ferment as my other fermenters are in use so I am down to a 5gal with airlock and no blow off.

This is what Beersmith gives me on it. The honey takes it from a 3.5% to a 5%abv
This is also 2 fold, as it's for my wife and I have 13-14lbs of it on hand.

Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gallon
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal) - Extract
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 12.3 IBUs
Est Color: 5.1 SRM

3 lbs 4.8 oz Pilsner Liquid Extract
1 lbs Light Dry Extract
1 lbs Cara-Pils/Dextrine
8.0 oz Munich Malt
1 lbs Honey
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min

I am doing a 4.5gal ferment.

This is what Beersmith gives me on it. The honey takes it from a 3.5% to a 5%abv

Batch Size (fermenter): 4.50 gallon
Boil Size: 2.50 gal
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Pot ( 5 Gal) - Extract
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 4.25 gal

Est Original Gravity: 1.045 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.008 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.9 %
Bitterness: 12.3 IBUs
Est Color: 5.1 SRM

Ditch the Munich malt, it isn't going to give you anything of you don't mash. I suspect the dextrine malt may be the same, but I'm not sure. I'd go with about 0.5 lbs Crystal and not use the dextrine or Munich.

1 lb of honey is OK. I would add it after to the fermenter after the main activity is over to help preserve some of the flavor.

Thanks Yooper. That was what I was just thinking. My last extract kist I took temps and a rest to work up to this and work out my system. I started my steep at 158 and cut the heat off in 30min it had fell to 155 so I think I should be able to do this. One was or the other. So mini-mash it is them.

Back