Keezer project started *pics*

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riored4v

Reaction score
Been getting parts together for our chest freezer kegerator project for the last couple weeks. So far my buddy chad and i have gotten the collar built and put together rest of our parts list. Right now we have it about 50% done, so I'll update it with more pics later, but I'm really happy with how its turned out so far. Hoping to get the first layer of stain on the wood collar tonight.

Still need to order up all the regulators, lines, and the misc stuff.

8.8cu ft Kenmore

Perlick 525SS Creamer faucets :drool:

Custom made bottle opener that we will have mounted off to the side. Thanks to the Wild Hops Print Shop (HBT Vendor)

It's looking great, can't wait to see the finished product. Very interested in doing a similar project in the near future.

These are exciting times in a mans life. :rockin: The black looks great!

I'll be a few weeks behind you in production. QUESTION: Is there a good type of hinge or support that will hold the keezer open when changing kegs? Pneumatic or spring-loaded?

These are exciting times in a mans life. :rockin: The black looks great!

I'll be a few weeks behind you in production. QUESTION: Is there a good type of hinge or support that will hold the keezer open when changing kegs? Pneumatic or spring-loaded?

From what i've heard, the stock hinges should be ok to support it. I'll be finding out here real soon.

I got the stain done last night and i should hopefully have it mounted to the lid by the weekend.

Past week has been putty, sanding, staining, and veneer. Finally got the last bit of stain applied last night and 2nd/final coat of varnish on today. Got the lid seperated and disconnected from the freezer as well. Been working on figuring out how to wire up the switch that controls the light, but I think we should be good to get the lid and collar mounted together tomorrow :word:

edges stained and brought inside to dry

finished up. has a nice shine to it

wiring for the light on the lid

Nearly finished. Got it all the exterior put together. We still need 2 more taps and then we are also need to make our custom taphandles still.

For the interior, we are just waiting on the hardware to arrive so we can get it all hooked up. I've got 2 homebrew kegs waiting to go and will probabl go pick up a commercial one as well.

lid attached

all insulated

sealing in the light switch

all works and the kegs clear everything perfectly.

temp controller mounted

Cleaned up finished

For a couple amatuer woodworkers I think we did pretty decent.

Wow that looks great! I'm doing one myself hopefully soon and I love the wood stain you used. I might have to use a similar design :mug:

Black looks so sexy.... I can't wait to get my white Keezer painted black.

I really dig the black it looks super nice much nicer than a white keezer with stained wood collar.

-=Jason=-

Looks great there, congrats! I see you have 6 taps, is that with two on the hump? What size collar did you have to use? Thanks!

Looks great there, congrats! I see you have 6 taps, is that with two on the hump? What size collar did you have to use? Thanks!

Yea, two on the hump and then the CO2 on the floor. We used 8" wood but for some reason it only measure 7 1/4":drunk:

Thanks guys. Definitely happy with the way it turned out. I wanted a nice piece I could be happy with keeping inside and I think we achieved that.

Can't wait to get it all plumbed so the beer can start flowing.:tank:

We used 8" wood but for some reason it only measure 7 1/4":drunk:
Useless factoid: 7 1/4" is the actual size of nominal size 8" lumber. Measure a 2x4...it's actually 1.5" x 3.5".

"Back in the day", a 2x4 would actually be 2x4 when it was green and roughcut. After drying and planing, you'd be down to 1.5x3.5. Nowadays, even the roughcut and green lumber is smaller than 2x4 due to advances in technology that eliminate waste.

Useless factoid: 7 1/4" is the actual size of nominal size 8" lumber. Measure a 2x4...it's actually 1.5" x 3.5".

"Back in the day", a 2x4 would actually be 2x4 when it was green and roughcut. After drying and planing, you'd be down to 1.5x3.5. Nowadays, even the roughcut and green lumber is smaller than 2x4 due to advances in technology that eliminate waste.

interesting...haha.:mug:

You have to get a picture of your first pour!!
Now that the hard work is almost over -- I think the fun part is finding cool tap handles

You have to get a picture of your first pour!!
Now that the hard work is almost over -- I think the fun part is finding cool tap handles

Gonna try to pick up ones to match the commercial brews we use, but i think we are going to try and make our own tap handles:ban:

Thanks for the write-up. I have a 2 keg system coming from keg connection and a spare freezer in the basement. Just need to get the materials!
If I may ask, how did you attach the collar to the lid? I'm considering attaching the collar to the freezer because I wasn't sure how to attach it secure enough to the lid.

Thanks!

some guys just have the collar resting on the keezer, some guys use silicone, some guys liquid nails.

I personally would have it as air tight and insulated as possible

-=Jason=-

Thanks for the write-up. I have a 2 keg system coming from keg connection and a spare freezer in the basement. Just need to get the materials!
If I may ask, how did you attach the collar to the lid? I'm considering attaching the collar to the freezer because I wasn't sure how to attach it secure enough to the lid.

Thanks!

I couldnt get the right angle on the collar with my drill bits and kept breaking them so we settled on glueing it. I used some heavy duty construction adhesive (supposely like liquid nails.. possibly better) and let that sit. once it was done setting (takes 1-7 days) then i lined it with caulking.

Rope caulk and just the weight of the collar works for me. I did not feel comfortable using liquid nails or silicone caulk.

some updated pics. Got it pretty much finished up. Still need to order our last 2 perlicks and finish making our taphandles, but otherwise... here she is:rockin:

Got the drip tray mounts glued in to place. using tape to hold them until the glue dries.

New cap catcher from Wild Hops Printshop

Internals.

Avery IPA:ban:

Very brave to let a beer sit over your carpet when that drip tray is only glued on.

Very brave to let a beer sit over your carpet when that drip tray is only glued on.

Same glue that is holding the collar on. Its pretty much like liquid nails... some construction grade adhesive.

Well today we finally finished it up. took some work getting the third regulator in there and everything to fit well. We had a few setbacks with some co2 leaking, but it is finally complete! it is very snug with 6 kegs but it works!

I am sure Riored4v will add some to this but here are a few updated pics.

Thx. It looks good!

I'll likely be doing something similar with the 7.2cu, and wanted to use 1" oak rather than 2" douglas fir trimmed down to 1.25"...

6 kegs???? Holy cow. How often do you brew to keep that stocked?

Looks awesome. I'm getting a chest freezer for free in a few weeks, snagging it from my folks because they're moving.

I don't think I will make a keezer though, probably just put the kegs in and use a handle that connects right to the liquid port.

Back