The eyes broke out of my carboy

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxPower49

Reaction score
What, you didn't know they had eyes?

DSC02864.jpg

DSC02862.jpg

It hit the side of the sink while I was cleaning it... not very hard either. Guess I need to look into getting a better bottle.

that makes me sad to see a dead carboy.

The water bottles are only going to be good for short term use. They will let O2 in to your beer. But for just doing primary you should be good.

You win some, you lose some. I have read threads about the smallest of touches breaking one. On the other hand, I once dropped one from about 4 feet to a paved driveway FULL and is suffered no ill effects. Had to change my drawers after, though. They get very slippery with sanitizer and I promptly purchased handles for them the next day.

I wonder how much I could get for this thing on ebay… I'm sure it won’t pull in as much as that grilled cheese sandwich with Jesus on it, but an alien carboy has to be worth some money… right?

You win some, you lose some. I have read threads about the smallest of touches breaking one. On the other hand, I once dropped one from about 4 feet to a paved driveway FULL and is suffered no ill effects. Had to change my drawers after, though. They get very slippery with sanitizer and I promptly purchased handles for them the next day.

Two words:

Milk. Crate.

Put your carboy in a milk crate, and et voila! Handles you can use when the carboy is full.

IMG00132.jpg

OT: Check out the foam! That's not starsan foam, folks. I use iodophor. That foam is from using my Cheap and Easy Aeration Gadget inline while draining my kettle. Funny thing is, I also used kettle defoamer.

Has ANYONE seen ANY proof of this claim about the BB?

I've never seen Better Bottle claim it about themselves. Indeed, they freely admit that their bottles are not O2-impermeable on their site, but go on to say:

Yes, Better-Bottle PET carboys are slightly more permeable than glass; however, it would be a mistake to assume that using a glass carboy will guarantee superior results. The traces of oxygen that penetrate Better-Bottle PET carboys are incredibly difficult to measure and insignificant when compared with the amounts of oxygen diffusing through, or leaking past, air locks (especially liquid-filled air locks), stoppers (especially silicone stoppers), most common types of flexible tubing, and the staves of oak barrels.

That sounds right to me. Silicone and rubber stoppers both have O2 permeability rates hundreds of times what standard PET does, and water (in airlocks) is even worse. Combine that with the head space in the bottle originally, and you're probably looking at miniscule amounts of O2 coming through the bottle compared to all the other sources.

It's the creepy thermometer smile that does it for me.

I've never seen Better Bottle claim it about themselves. Indeed, they freely admit that their bottles are not O2-impermeable on their site, but go on to say:

That sounds right to me. Silicone and rubber stoppers both have O2 permeability rates hundreds of times what standard PET does, and water (in airlocks) is even worse. Combine that with the head space in the bottle originally, and you're probably looking at miniscule amounts of O2 coming through the bottle compared to all the other sources.

With this considered, I'd like to know how detrimental type 2 or 3 plastic really is.

If this is the case, is the permeability of normal water bottles that big of an issue?

If this is the case, is the permeability of normal water bottles that big of an issue?

I'd think any #1 (PETE) would be okay. Better Bottles tend to be thicker so you're a little less likely to squeeze it and pop the cork/shoot beer out of it, but that's easy enough to avoid with basic care. #7 plastic could be anything, so I'd avoid those.

I think that photo would make a fitting avatar.

If you're looking for nasties in plastic, yes both BBs and water jugs pass O2 but, like they said - how measureabe it that? and it is magnitudes less then stoppers and airlocks.

There are worse things in plastics to worry about like BPA. That's some bad stuff. Better Bottles are BPA-free. the other bottles? who knows.

I just started brewing a few weeks ago and i see no better way than glass.Being careful and using a carrier like the strap types i bought i can see my carboys lasting a lifetime.I will never use plastic.

Back