Dremel Owners - corded vs cordless

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

two_hearted

Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a dremel rotary tool. Anyone have any opinions on cordless vs. corded? Are the lower end models junk compared to higher end?

I am just looking for something to do minor weekend projects for now, but I will be buying a house soon and will probably find a million reasons to use it. Just looking for some input

go with corded, they have much more power than the cordless versions. Seriously, anything you're using a dremel on is probably going to be near an outlet anyway.

I find if you spend a little more and get the ones with variable speed, you have a lot of flexibility. The real low end ones are just on/off and that's it.

I have both and find myself using the corded version much more. The cordless is nice for small quick projects where you don't feel like plugging it in and situating the cord, but if you are holding it for intricate projects, it can tend to be a pain as it will wear the small hand muscles out. I also have the flex-shaft extension, found here, which is probably one of the best attachments I have bought for it. It allows me to get into tighter spaces and doesn't wear out your hand if you are working on something detailed.

Edit: I also agree that it's worth the extra bit to get variable speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definately Corded in my opinion. I bought this one:

http://www.harborfreight.com/80-piece-rotary-tool-kit-97626.html

One of my favorite tools. And only $10. I've cut through steel with it and used it heavily to create my pump in a toolbox build. It's held up fantastic so far.

It is not as powerful as the name brand dremel, so it takes a bit more patience than the real thing. If you are not in a rush then the super cheap HF model should do fine. However, if you have no patience and just want to get the job done asap...the Dremel is worth it. I've used both and this is the only difference I have noticed.

Buy the kit. You will find out really fast that the bits for them are expensive and get used up a lot. It is one of the most used tools I own. Buy the corded with the variable speed. When you are sanding something it makes a huge difference.

I have the variable speed corded version, it's great. One thing that made the Dremel quicker and easier to use is a Dremel Chuck.

+1 to the chuck.

And those cutting wheels - when they wear out, they don't just stop. They shatter into a million pieces and they go everywhere, including in your face. (Personal experience) So safety glasses ...

Honestly, get both. I got my cordless variable speed to use outside my apartment for quick jobs and for work, but the corded one is more powerful, but, more importantly, doesn't die. The cordless one is great, but you can't work all day with it.

Also, +1 for the extension handle and kit.

Corded and variable speed. I ended up selling my cordless one at a garage sale - not enough power, except for craft/hobby type projects, battery didn't last very long and every time I wanted to use it the battery was low or dead.

Corded!
i had both and used the cordless one maybe 2-3 times before i lost it and never cared.

I think every tool should have a cord ... The exception being a drill. I hate waiting for batteries to charge.

Mine is cordless, and I dont really like it. I have an oscilating tool that is corded that I try to use, but sometimes for smaller things you just need a Dremel. If I am going to be working on a project for more than a few minutes, I will drive to my parents house 25 miles away to use my Dad's corded Dremel.

Alright, corded it is. There is only a small price difference in the 3000 and 4000 series. It seems the biggest difference is the 4000 is 1.6 amps and goes from 5000 to 35,000 rpms and the 3000 is 1.2 amps and goes from 5000 to 32,000.

Save yourself the trouble and buy an air operated Die Grinder. Dremels always end up with burnt motors. Or just buy one and be prepared to replace it when it dies.

I agree with many, after using a higher end variable speed....

I couldn't imagine using a base model speed control.

I have the corded and its just powerful enough for most things, I wouldn't bother with the cordless unless you needed it to be more portable. That being said sometimes the cord gets int he way and holding it can be awkward if you're using it higher than you chest for some reason.

I have the corded digital speed control 5000-35,000RPM. I left it outside but kinda out of the weather for 6 months and still works. As far as getting the chuck, I just finger tight the buts and it has always been tight enough. Then you can remove with your fingers instead of hunting the little wrench.
Man 35,000 rpm is screaming fast!

Corded for power and cordless for easy, light duty work. I have both and use both. They each have their niche.
If you have to chose one, get the best corded model you can afford.
The Dremel is one of the top greatest tools every produced.

While you are at it get the multi pro tool chuck. Just like a keyless drill chuck.

I'm the proud new owner of the corded 4000 series with 3 attachments and 34 bits plus the multi pro chuck. The EZ twist chuck thing is pretty...well, easy.

Save yourself the trouble and buy an air operated Die Grinder. Dremels always end up with burnt motors. Or just buy one and be prepared to replace it when it dies.

Really?

I've had mine for 10 years. Use it all the time - guess it's on it's last leg.... too bad my air compressor didn't last that long...

go with corded, they have much more power than the cordless versions. Seriously, anything you're using a dremel on is probably going to be near an outlet anyway.

I find if you spend a little more and get the ones with variable speed, you have a lot of flexibility. The real low end ones are just on/off and that's it.

used to have a cordless one, had problems with it after about a year. Corded one i have now was cheaper and has been problem free for years

:rockin:

High speed effer-upper. How did I get along without one? :cross:

Corded. Mine is two speed. I use and abuse it. No issues.

They sell the little carbon brushes for the motor at Lowes and Ace.

Must have bits: 125 high speed cutter, tungsten carbide cutter, loads of black cut off wheels (second the comment about them flying to pieces- but still a must have), grinding stones, wire brushes and I don't know what it's called but they have a cutter that looks like a circle saw blade.

Be careful with any soft buffing and polishing pads. You can buff and polish clean through some stuff in a flash. I know. :eek:

I have the cordless variable speed unit, and it works just fine. Used it numerous times...and like it more each time I use it!

glenn514:mug:

They make heavy duty cutoff wheels as well. They are quite a bit thicker, so not as precise. I've used them successfully on many projects that I should have used an actual die grinder for.

High speed effer-upper. How did I get along without one? :cross:

Corded. Mine is two speed. I use and abuse it. No issues.

They sell the little carbon brushes for the motor at Lowes and Ace.

Must have bits: 125 high speed cutter, tungsten carbide cutter, loads of black cut off wheels (second the comment about them flying to pieces- but still a must have), grinding stones, wire brushes and I don't know what it's called but they have a cutter that looks like a circle saw blade.

Be careful with any soft buffing and polishing pads. You can buff and polish clean through some stuff in a flash. I know. :eek:

The newer reinforced cut-off wheels are a must for anything metal. The old wheels shouldn't be used for anything other than plastic or wood, IMO.

A little off-topic here, but I picked up a Dremel clone (corded!) a couple months ago to modify a plastic case. For that task, it was small enough that I could probably have used virtually any of the bits and gotten it done, but I'm not really sure how to identify what the various bits are for. Does anyone have a favorite tutorial / reference for beginner Dremel use?

I have the corded variable speed and I love it. I like certain things to be cordless but others need to be corded. More than likely whatever you are using the Dremel on will be small, portable, and/or near a wall socket. The corded provides more power and unlimited use without re-charging and is far superior than the battery powered one IMHO

Back