Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't have a big beard. Can't grow one. I grow just enough to make it look horrible when I don't shave. I used to just use an electric but have recently lost the charger. I used to occasionally use the multi blade deals and hated them. I used on of my wife's single blade BICs once and it was a huge improvement. Ever since I've started sahving with the single blades every 2 days and started thinking about this thread. What is a simple way to get intro'd? Simple/safe/easy to use blade. and minimal; equipment for a comfortable shave. I was thinking a brush, bowl and decent cream and aftershave oil. Then whatever blade you all recommend on the cheap.

IrregularPulse said:
I don't have a big beard. Can't grow one. I grow just enough to make it look horrible when I don't shave. I used to just use an electric but have recently lost the charger. I used to occasionally use the multi blade deals and hated them. I used on of my wife's single blade BICs once and it was a huge improvement. Ever since I've started sahving with the single blades every 2 days and started thinking about this thread. What is a simple way to get intro'd? Simple/safe/easy to use blade. and minimal; equipment for a comfortable shave. I was thinking a brush, bowl and decent cream and aftershave oil. Then whatever blade you all recommend on the cheap.

Hit up Etsy.com and search for a gillette tech safety razor. They are good shavers, not too aggressive. I see them for sale there for between 10 and 20 dollars. As for shave cream, I would hit up bath and body works, get the CO Bigelow shave cream, a toothpaste type tube is 5 dollars and is fantastic stuff. Use a large coffee mug or rice bowl to make your lather in. An ok brush to start out with can be bought at target, get a shea moisture shave brush if available, if not they also carry the Van Der Hagen badger brush. For blades I like shark blades I get on Amazon in 100 blade packs. But you can get serviceable blades at CVS or walgreens stores to get you started.

Another option is to look into whippeddog.com and get their double edge razor, brush, soap, and blade kit. It is around 30 dollars shipped I believe.

IrregularPulse said:
Will the Gillete Safety come with blade(s)? We're actually going to target tomorrow.

The razor would be an Ebay or Etsy online purchase. Look into the whippeddog option. That gives you everything but the bowl, and he is a great guy to work with. I am unsure of the razor, I've never used that type before, but his straights shave like a dream!

If heading to target look for the shave brushes, badger hair one is 9 dollars last time I looked. Not the best quality but it is servicable for a while as you get started

mattmcl said:
There's a web forum called badger and blade. About as in-depth as the homebrew info here. There are videos, instructions, reviews, etc.

Good source for info for sure, I'm on there too, same screen name

I think all the info scares people.

I just started, got a murkur (that's not how you spell it?) 23c, brush and soap and was well away, 4 shaves in my skin is real smooth, no irritation, only caught myself a couple of times for the first two attempts.

Watched one video and got some advice off the decent folk on here and I'm well away...

...then again, I jumped into AG brewing straight away, so maybe I'm that act first, think later kind of person?

azscoob said:
If heading to target look for the shave brushes, badger hair one is 9 dollars last time I looked. Not the best quality but it is servicable for a while as you get started

I've seen it before. $8.99 here as of a week or so ago.

It's possible to get a wilkinson sword starter kit over here, do they do it in the US? It's a brush and a simple DE razor and a pack of blades, over here it's only about 7.99 for the kit. I started with that with feathers and then got a nice kit when I had the cash and was into it.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/WILKINSON...FETY-RAZOR-5-BLADES-WET-SHAVING-/260854059080

Basically that kit with a brush in the deal too.

Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while and just ordered a 1966 Gillette Tech on eBay. I can't wait for it to arrive. Does anyone have some links to some good wet shaving videos for a n00b?

Thanks,
Dave

Just search "wet shaving" on YouTube. Here's the search screenshot.

image-119225216.jpg

dslater said:
Hi,

I've been following this thread for a while and just ordered a 1966 Gillette Tech on eBay. I can't wait for it to arrive. Does anyone have some links to some good wet shaving videos for a n00b?

Thanks,
Dave

Look up mantic59 on youtube, he has a lot of good videos on technique and basics, as well as advanced stuff too.

Look up mantic59 on youtube, he has a lot of good videos on technique and basics, as well as advanced stuff too.

Mantic's videos are chock full of great information about pretty much everything! If you are looking for vids, Mantic59 is the first place you need to look! I can't even begin to explain how helpful he was getting me started.

I have been waiting and waiting to pull the trigger on a resupply of blades. Procrastination is the devil, I swear. I shouldve gotten 2000 of the real Super Iridiums last year before they disappeared. Granted, I do have enough to last me about another year, but then what? Sad, sad times.

Thanks for the tip on Mantic59.

My Tech just arrived! This is as good as getting a new piece of brewing hardware.

I don't think I've been this eager to shave since I was 15.

How many shaves do most people get off a single blade? For the every other day kind of shaver... I know it depends on the hair and blade, just looking for a rough guide.

For shaving your head they make a safety razor with an s-shaped grip on top that your fingers hold perpendicular to your palm. It was designed for women who wanted a more stable razor grip for doing their legs. I've head it's wonderful for shaving heads because its so much easier to keep the blade even for those long strokes to get close to the scalp.

ChillWill said:
How many shaves do most people get off a single blade? For the every other day kind of shaver... I know it depends on the hair and blade, just looking for a rough guide.

I get two (3-pass shaves) from a feather, four or five shaves from an asco or shark blade. Personally I like the shave I get from the shark blades as well as how long they last

I'm on a carryon only type of vacation, so I'm temporarily shaving with cartridges and some shave secret. excellent results. Not exactly wet shaving I spose but very good.

If I had to go back to cartridges, at least I could forego the goopinacan.

I have two of those Shea moisture brushes and while it is not a plisson they work really well for the price. I also have a couple omega boars that have served me well too. I think for Christmas I might get a Simpsons chubby.

philrose said:
I'm on a carryon only type of vacation, so I'm temporarily shaving with cartridges and some shave secret. excellent results. Not exactly wet shaving I spose but very good.

If I had to go back to cartridges, at least I could forego the goopinacan.

Hey Phil you probably already know but those Palmolive shave sticks are truly amazing. I keep my shave stick in a unmarked pill container, and also keep my brush in a larger pill container. Works for me in my gym bag, I use it 3 times a week.

Still shaving with my Merkur 34C and loving it. Trying various blades. I definitely do *not* like the Sharp brand. The Astras are pretty nice, and surprisingly, the Dorco blades that came free with the razor are really good on my face.

I just refinished the brush I made, since the original finish lasted exactly one shave ;) I'm going to see how the CA (cyanoacrylate) finish holds up to shaving. Looks good to start!

brush_refurb.jpg

-Joe

Your brush looks real nice! The CA finish looks great when its done right, but I have a habit of sanding and polishing right through the finish. I really, really want to find an Ever Ready 500 in cream and green for a resto project. But I might just get the green pearl acrylic blank along with the knot from TGN, make the whole brush myself and be done with it.

Bought a sample pack of blades and want some opinions; my razor came with a Merkur platinum coated razor or something like that, which seemed pretty good; very happy with it. However, I can't seem to find any that are even near a reasonable price!

The pack has in it:
5x Astra superior platinum
5x wilkinson sword
5x derby extra 'super stainless'
10x Super-max stainless (looks like a cheap brand)

I'll probably go through most of them; but are there any that you'd A) Recommend or B) Recommend that I don't put anywhere near my face?

ChillWill said:
Bought a sample pack of blades and want some opinions; my razor came with a Merkur platinum coated razor or something like that, which seemed pretty good; very happy with it. However, I can't seem to find any that are even near a reasonable price!

The pack has in it:
5x Astra superior platinum
5x wilkinson sword
5x derby extra 'super stainless'
10x Super-max stainless (looks like a cheap brand)

I'll probably go through most of them; but are there any that you'd A) Recommend or B) Recommend that I don't put anywhere near my face?

I didn't care for the Merkur blade. I like the swords and can buy them locally for pretty cheap. I've been satisfied enough to not look at other blades right now.

I like Shark and Shark Chrome best for the money. I can get Wilkinson Swords cheaply enough locally but I don't care as much for the shave. A lot of personna blades shave decent but then I go back to a Shark and I'm just happier with them. Buying blades ahundred at a time helps :D

I like Shark and Shark Chrome best for the money. I can get Wilkinson Swords cheaply enough locally but I don't care as much for the shave. A lot of personna blades shave decent but then I go back to a Shark and I'm just happier with them. Buying blades ahundred at a time helps :D

well said, I also find myself going back to the shark blades, I get mine on amazon, 100 blades at a time. :ban:

Still shaving with my Merkur 34C and loving it. Trying various blades. I definitely do *not* like the Sharp brand. The Astras are pretty nice, and surprisingly, the Dorco blades that came free with the razor are really good on my face.

I just refinished the brush I made, since the original finish lasted exactly one shave ;) I'm going to see how the CA (cyanoacrylate) finish holds up to shaving. Looks good to start!

-Joe

One thing I have found is that after a while shaving, it doesn't hurt to go back thru the rotation of blades, after your face toughens up to wet shaving, and your skill improves you might find you like some blades that you didn't like before

I too have contemplated going through my other blades at the back of the drawer. I dunno though those Personna platinum chrome blades were BRUTAL!!! I do want to try the med prep blades soon.

well said, I also find myself going back to the shark blades, I get mine on amazon, 100 blades at a time. :ban:
I get about four shaves -sometimes less- out of a blade regardless of brand. Sharks and Gillette Black or dark blue (maybe both) are just always a nice shave until they are dull.

I really liked Personna Reds and Astra SPs in the beginning but my preference definitely changed when I got better and used to shaving again.

Aaack, so this is another "hobby" lifestyle change I made recently. I've been reading up on Badger & Blade and watching some YouTube how to videos. My electric needed new blades and I decided, after hearing about people going back to DE shaving, to give it a try. When I got into pipe smoking, I bought WAY too much tobacco and too many pipes for a casual/weekend only smoker. I fear I'm headed down a similar path with this. Razor should be arriving this week, but I've already got several shave soaps/creams, and aftershaves to test out. Why do I keep doing this?!?!?!?

I've been contemplating a DE for quite a while now. Just haven't made the plunge yet. My dad used a DE for years and years and then for some reason switched to single blade disposables, which incidentally is what he taught me to shave with. Over time I've graduated to the multi-blade face hackers and cartridge things. I think it's time to get back to basics and see if i can get a good shave for a change.

Back