How are you storing your hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikesalvo

Reaction score
A Google search produced some good results, but most of which mentioned pricey vaccum dealers that cost $100 or more. Any good suggestions that are a bit lighter on the wallet? Thanks!

I use pellets so I can easily fit a pound in a 1 quart mason jar, I mix a little baking soda and vinegar, pour the CO2 over the hops, seal and put it in the deep freeze.

Those are great for dried,home grown hops measured out then sealed. Then into a freezer bag just for some added protection from freezer burn.

Nice! I currently have a few pounds double ziplocked. I think I'm going to weigh them out into ounces and put then into little baggies, then double freezer bag the little baggies.

Actually,after buying raw (whole) hops & seeing the size of the packet,I do believe that the sandwich size freezer bags would hold an ounce. Then into gallon size freezer bags & into the top of the freezer. The bottom of the freezer sees freezing water from the defrost cycle at times,so the top shelf is safer all around imo. Just thought I'd mention that.

A Google search produced some good results, but most of which mentioned pricey vaccum dealers that cost $100 or more. Any good suggestions that are a bit lighter on the wallet? Thanks!

It all depends on how many hops you have and how long you think you will keep them.

Ziploc bags in freezer is good if you are only going to keep them for up to 6 months. Any longer and you should be seriously be thinking about a vacuum sealer.

I use a sealer when I initially split the packs, but after that (when they are in smaller packs), I use the ziploc hand vacuum sealer because it is handy (and cheap .... a few bucks).

Occasionally you will find a basic sealer on sale for about $25. Keep an eye on the equipment forum for people finding one.

I bought a food saver for vacuum sealing. So far it's just been used for hops, but when I bought it I had planned to use it for other stuff too :)

Same here.

Take a plastic soda bottle, drill a hole in the lid and install a tire air stem. Fill bottle with hops, purge with co2 and store in freezer. An air chuck off one of your co2 tanks with a quick change works wonderfully.
Pat

Latest posts

Back