First Boston Butt, Need Guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyNameIsPaul

Reaction score
I'm smoking 2 butts tomorrow, both ~4 pounds. Is 1.5 Hours/Lb at 225* the right time/temp? Is 6 hours enough for 2 butts?

I've been asked to brine them as well (I'm doing this as a favor for a good friend) Has anyone had any luck with a certain brine?

Any help would be great, thanks Gurus of the flesh!

Alton Brown's orange brine for pork is good. Cut back on the salt in the rub though.

And, cooking time will depend on so many factors, so plan for ~8 hrs, and pull off before if they are done (~195*F)

I always plan at least 8 hours.

Is 225-250* about right?

Start with fat side up?

This is going to be pork for a chili cook-off, so they don't want me to put any dry rub on it. Should I just coat with some mustard to get a nice bark or throw in there naked?

Salt and water is your brine. You can only estimate the timing on these things. Use your thermometer and take them out at 190F. Foil them for a while before pulling.

Your rub should have salt, pepper, sugar, cumin, paprika, cayenne and garlic powder measured for your taste.

Salt and water is your brine. You can only estimate the timing on these things. Use your thermometer and take them out at 190F. Foil them for a while before pulling.

Your rub should have salt, pepper, sugar, cumin, paprika, cayenne and garlic powder measured for your taste.

I just saw that rub part.. I've never heard of that, before.

Is 225-250* about right?

Start with fat side up?

This is going to be pork for a chili cook-off, so they don't want me to put any dry rub on it. Should I just coat with some mustard to get a nice bark or throw in there naked?

I do 225 and the fat cap up. Not sure if it really makes a difference or not. If you aren't going to rub it, I wouldn't rub it in mustard.

Fat cap position won't make much difference. Flip and rotate 180 at the 1/2way point.

Thanks for all the replies y'all!

I've got the best smoked chicken around, I'm looking forward to learning a little more about some pork now!

Well? We're waiting!
waiting.jpg

The chili won 3rd place with the judges and 1st with peoples choice, out of 19 entries. It was a green chili (not my thing but whatevs) and everyone loved the smokiness. I brined the pork overnight with peppercorns, crystallized (candied) ginger, allspice, salt, sugar, and apple juice. Super moist and flavorful!

Back