Brewing Classic Styles Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just curious as to how many people own a copy of Brewing Classic Styles

• I own it!

• I don't own it, but I want it.

• I don't own it, and I am not interested in buying it.

Results are only viewable after voting.
Don't remove them because recipes can't be copyrighted and Kristi doesn't know what she's talking about. If you were copying text from the book it would be one thing, but you're not.

Don't remove them because recipes can't be copyrighted and Kristi doesn't know what she's talking about. If you were copying text from the book it would be one thing, but you're not.

She implicitly agrees with you as to the individual recipes. Her claim is that "as a collection" they are a violation of the copyright.

The thing is, and I am not trying to justify something that would hurt Jamil or John, I did change the recipes. That being said, I did get the recipes from their book. My recipes have different gravity numbers and the like, since you can't duplicate them exactly without tweaking your system to match the number... which you can only find in the book I talk about everyone should buy. I am glad we have at least one person that bought the book because of my thread. Honestly, these are recipes based on what the book gives as parameters to make the recipes. What is missing, on purpose, is the text which tells you why they chose (or exactly what to choose) specific ingredients. I am as vague as I can be to get a easily downloadable and usable version of their recipes. As for those wondering about my honesty, I chose to ask for input and information. I didn't even post all of the recipes. I take offense for people questioning my intent to maybe put one over on the authors of this great book. I promote the book, i just make it easier than asking or looking for the recipes for oneself. My intentions are pure, and all it would take is one post from Jamil or John in the negative for me to shut this down instantaneously. I ask the brewers on this forum for their input only, and appreciate (most) of the responses I have gotten. I am taking the recipes off of my dropbox, just to be sure I am not hurting the guys I care about most (John and Jamil) in all of this. Keep chatting and giving information though, as I respect it. I will ask that you never question my motives, as you do not know the code I live by. I am an Eagle Scout, Christian, and honestly good person (only mentioning these facts for those to think about) and would never do harm to another on purpose.

It was always obvious that your intent was noble. You told everyone to buy the book!
I'm glad I own it now instead of always getting it from the library in the past. Thanks again!

My first thought would be "Don't trust anyone on the Interweb." Look up Brewers Publications and make sure they have someone named Kristi in the company. Get her email address and phone number from the company, and verify that she sent the message.

Paranoid? Maybe. But you wouldn't be the first to be scammed in such a way.

http://www.brewersassociation.org/pages/about-us/staff

Very near the bottom of the list.

I thought i was going nuts looking for the files from the OP, then I read the entire thread. Guess Ill have to go back inputting these recipes by hand. :( Oh well.

Seems like she responded very politely. I'm not so sure I'd meet in person, but if having an open dialog with the publisher might allow for a version of the recipes for download officially I'd be all for it.
I own the book, and have downloaded the recipes. FWIW, a large number of these recipes can be found on the web independently w/out the book, but as a collection they are more valuable.
Good luck.
AO

The thing is, and I am not trying to justify something that would hurt Jamil or John, I did change the recipes. That being said, I did get the recipes from their book. My recipes have different gravity numbers and the like, since you can't duplicate them exactly without tweaking your system to match the number... which you can only find in the book I talk about everyone should buy. I am glad we have at least one person that bought the book because of my thread. Honestly, these are recipes based on what the book gives as parameters to make the recipes. What is missing, on purpose, is the text which tells you why they chose (or exactly what to choose) specific ingredients. I am as vague as I can be to get a easily downloadable and usable version of their recipes. As for those wondering about my honesty, I chose to ask for input and information. I didn't even post all of the recipes. I take offense for people questioning my intent to maybe put one over on the authors of this great book. I promote the book, i just make it easier than asking or looking for the recipes for oneself. My intentions are pure, and all it would take is one post from Jamil or John in the negative for me to shut this down instantaneously. I ask the brewers on this forum for their input only, and appreciate (most) of the responses I have gotten. I am taking the recipes off of my dropbox, just to be sure I am not hurting the guys I care about most (John and Jamil) in all of this. Keep chatting and giving information though, as I respect it. I will ask that you never question my motives, as you do not know the code I live by. I am an Eagle Scout, Christian, and honestly good person (only mentioning these facts for those to think about) and would never do harm to another on purpose.

Did resolution come between you and Kristi? It looked like she wanted to find a mutually beneficial solution. Was one reached other than you removing the links? Doesn't seem like that's what Kristi wanted in the first place. Sure...take them down but only "until we get this resolved."

I know I'd like to get the files through the proper channels. What's the latest?

I took them down and haven't thought about it since. I'll let someone else put them in a format and sell them if that's what they want to do. More trouble than I was looking for no matter the case so I just dropped it. Good luck to them for reals, I had fun doing it.

Back