Corn VS Priming Sugar????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GABrewboy

Reaction score
Okay, I have to ask I have read way too much I guess lately!! :drunk:

What is the advantages or disadvantages of using corn sugar vs priming sugar? I understand corn works much quicker to carbonate, but does it give off any unusual flavoring? If not, then why isn't everyone using this to prime?

I also see a lot of people using extracts to prime with, what is the advantage of that as well and doesn't that cost quite a bit more as you now have an open bag of extract?

Corn sugar and priming sugar are synonymous. An open bag of DME may be stored for quite a while as long as it is in an airtight and dry container. I don't believe anybody uses LME for priming if that's what you were thinking about.

OOPSSS!!! Didn't know that......DOH!!!! :D Well I was thinking of DME!! I didn't know it could be stored for that long......so what is the advantage then of priming with DME??

I was going to ask a priming question so I may as well ask it here,

I've been using this table but for DME I've been adding 20% or just going to the top end of the amounts.

Have I got it right?

priming.gif

Okay, call me an idiot here......well okay, I am an idiot brewer still.....but when you say PURER, what do you mean it is PURER?

It's purer in the sense that you're sticking within the "only malt, water, hops, yeast" framework, as you might concider corn sugar to be an adjunct.

GABrewboy said:
Okay, call me an idiot here......well okay, I am an idiot brewer still.....but when you say PURER, what do you mean it is PURER?
As Lupus said, there are those who believe that anything other than "malt, water, hops, and yeast" is unpure, evil, and ungodly. I've never actually seen anyone get struck down by lightning while priming with corn sugar, but I've got plenty of DME on hand, so why tempt fate?

I find that the corn sugar is easier to store and handle. I have a bag of DME I use for starters that is sealed in another zipper bag, but the little bit of DME dust makes everything sticky. The corn sugar seems to stay powdered better without making the bag sticky. Just my $0.02

Back