McEwan's Scotch Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfr1111

Reaction score
I went to my local liquor store today (actually to use the bathroom, not buy anything) and saw that they had McEwan's on the shelf. I thought it had disappeared after the Heineken acquisition in 2007. Can it be possible our liquor stores in Quebec have 4 year old stock or is it still produced, but not exporte to the US.

I remember trying to find some a few years back and not finding any. And it also was reasonable priced at 2$ a bottle, wich surprised me (it was sitting next to a Paulaner Hefe at 5 bucks a pop).

Hmmm, I might take another trip tomorrow and pick up the 15 or so remaining bottles that they have.

I also did a quick search and almost 400 provincial liquor stores have it in stock (with some having upwards of 50 bottles), so I very much doubt it isn't in production anymore. Wikipedia lists Caledonia has the contract brewer but no mention of the beer is made on their site.

The plot is thickening.

EDIT: The website lists the "distributor" or fournisseur as Scottish and Newcastle Breweries.

I'm drinking a bottle right now. It is definately old stock since the bottle clearly says that it was brewed by Scottish Courage Ltd, wich doesn't exist anymore :(

Where do you take this info, apart from wikipedia ? Because from my research on message boards and the like, it's even becoming scarce in the UK.

Also, all fo the bottles I've seen in Quebec are old stock, so I'm not sure if it's even imported anymore :( At 2$ a bottle I'll probably pick two cases of it and sit on one for my graduating party.

I've made that once; by far one of my best batches. Pick up what you can and make it soon!

Ahh, McEwan's Scotch Ale. The good ole days. I remember drinking that stuff in college by the liter at a bar called "The Oak Barrel" in downtown Tampa. Thought it was the greatest Scottish Ale that ever existed. Then I tried "Old Chub" by Oskar Blues.

I just checked the BC liquor store and they have what looks like 1700 6 packs of the stuff floating around the province

Where do you take this info, apart from wikipedia ? Because from my research on message boards and the like, it's even becoming scarce in the UK.

Found it on the Heineken UK web site.

The link is dead, but I still found the page on the Heineken webpage.

Beers listed are the 60, 70, 80 and the Export. No mention of the Scotch Ale anywhere.

It is almost everywhere in most of Quebec's SAQ. I drank a few bottles last week an they did not seem to be overaged at all.

Back