Gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleepydad

Reaction score
I'll be bottling a beer tomorrow, and seem to have misplaced the gelatin fining pack that I purchased. The homebrew store is clear across town, and I'm wondering if store bought non-flavored gelatin is the same as homebrew gelatin. Sorry if that's a dumb question, but I'd rather go to the corner market than spend six bucks in gas to drive to the homebrew store. Perhaps I can just get by without the gelatin all together??

Thanks all.
sleepydad

It's the same stuff.
If you are bottling tomorrow that's not a lot of time for it do it's thing.
I would either use the gelatin and wait a few more days to bottle, or just skip it all together.

Yes the supermarket stuff will work just make sure its not flavored or anything. I use Knox gelatin.

Ya, knox gelatin works fine. FYI: I've had a hard time getting batches i've used gelatin with to bottle condition.

They do carb up, but not as much as they do when I don't use gelatin, and i've given them 8+ weeks, still no carb.

FYI: I've had a hard time getting batches i've used gelatin with to bottle condition.

They do carb up, but not as much as they do when I don't use gelatin, and i've given them 8+ weeks, still no carb.

I've had similar problems if I let it sit for a week or two after adding gelatin. Try four days and you might have better results.

I've had similar problems if I let it sit for a week or two after adding gelatin. Try four days and you might have better results.

I'm finally getting into kegging, so I won't have to worry about it any more -- something I'm super excited about.

I do love the clarity I get with gelatin though, literally commercial level clarity

Back