Young Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BriarwoodBrewer

Reaction score
I popped open a bottle of young beer (3 days after putting in bottles) to taste progress. I know it is way too early, but it seemed way too carbonated, apple cider tasting/smelling. Color/clarity is fine. Will this get better with age or did I do something. I usually keg, this was the first time I bottled the whole batch. Any thoughts?

Let it go longer. When I bottle, I usually let mine age for a minimum of a month before I sample. As far as the carbonation, was fermentation complete before you bottled? Did you add too much priming sugar... etc.

Let it go longer. When I bottle, I usually let mine age for a minimum of a month before I sample. As far as the carbonation, was fermentation complete before you bottled? Did you add too much priming sugar... etc.

I may have done both. I haven't brewed in about four years and maybe got impatient and since I've never bottled before I may have used too much sugar. I used 5.5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. It had the bubbles similar to champaign. Do you think the apple cider taste will vanish with time?

I may have done both. I haven't brewed in about four years and maybe got impatient and since I've never bottled before I may have used too much sugar. I used 5.5 ounces in a 5 gallon batch. It had the bubbles similar to champaign. Do you think the apple cider taste will vanish with time?

You may have used a bit too much priming sugar. 5.5 ounces is a hefty dose.

The apple cider taste may go away with time. Young beer often has some acetaldehyde in it, an intermediate product of the yeast. It can taste sour or like green apple. The yeast will get rid of it in time.

You said the yeast will get rid of it with time. Do I need to remove the bottles from the frig? Should I store at a different temp? How much sugar should I have used? Sorry for all the questions....

Yes, let the bottles age at room temperature for 3 weeks. 4 oz of sugar is generally acceptable, but could vary slightly depending on the style.

No way to fix over-carbonation?? I have the bottles sitting in my basement at room temp. I will wait three weeks before trying another.

What style of beer was it? Some belgians and some german wheats go great being super carbed. The foaming/champagne like characteristic will fade as the CO2 disolves into solution. That will take time. Also, the off flavors will mellow with time, but that will usually only happen at room temperature where the yeast are active.

you can fix over-carbonation. If you have a good pile of caps, you can dunk the bottles upside down in StarSan, then pop the top and re-cap with a new one.

However, I would let them age considerably longer than 3 days - you will most likely be pleasantly surprised.

+1 to 4oz sugar for priming.

also - what was your final gravity at the end of fermentation?

you can fix over-carbonation. If you have a good pile of caps, you can dunk the bottles upside down in StarSan, then pop the top and re-cap with a new one.

However, I would let them age considerably longer than 3 days - you will most likely be pleasantly surprised.

+1 to 4oz sugar for priming.

also - what was your final gravity at the end of fermentation?

GREAT IDEA!

FG was 1.008-1.010

I hope you are right about being pleasantly sursprised.

Back