Does oxidation have visible signs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fotomatt1

Reaction score
My pumpkin beer has been in the secondary for a week and a half. It's my first time using a carboy (better bottle to be more specific), and for some reason last night I started worrying about the stopper forming a good enough seal. I'm sure it's fine...just curious if oxidation has any visible signs?

No visible signs that I know of. Don't worry about it...chances are very slim that you have oxygen leaking in. Even if you did, there's enough gases inside to push it out that it wouldn't matter.

a bad seal on a stopper would not cause oxidation. CO2 is heavier than air and will form a protective blanket on top of your beer that will not be penetrated by the air.

Oxidation does have a visible sign of sorts. It is a picture of a really nervous newbie who keeps playing with his beer until his fidgeting around with it causes air to mix in with the beer. It is rare but much more prevalent among NERVOUS NEWBS. :)

It'll be fine, the beer will still have enogh CO2 blanket to protect it. If the temperature drops, then it may create a vacuum and start sucking the airlock water back in the beer. I have this problem in the cellar when we go from summer to winter.

No visual signs of oxidation that I know of, but I've NEVER had an oxidation problem.

Hahah....I don't fidget with it even though I want to. My beer is in a fermentation chamber built out of a wine fridge....it has a glass door so I can see what's going on without ever opening it. It's basically been at a constant 68 degrees since brew day. Building that was the single best thing I've done so far...it's nice not having to worry much about regulating temperature!

Back