When your beer freezes...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefranciotti

Reaction score
can it be saved?

I've finished all but 2 bottles from my first batch. one is sitting for a special occasion and I had just put one in the mini fridge. Well my fiancee cranked the temp down and a bunch of my beers froze... The homebrewed bottle is a Grolsch style bottle and a bit of frozen foam came out of the top...

Any idea if this can be salvaged?

Nothing to do but let it thaw and try it out, I think. As long as the bottle didn't break or the lid didn't come loose I'd think it might be ok. It happened to me once and still tasted ok after I let it thaw.

I don't know what to tell you, never had that happen with homebrew....I've drank a cheap commercial beer that had been frozen, but it was bad anyways...hmmm. Try it and let us know. My guess it it will probably be flat, but drinkable.

Im not a very patient individual, sometimes, i want a beer and i want it fast, so i grab a couple of homebrews and cram them in the freezer, well it happened on several occasions that the beer froze cause they have been in there for a little too long.

Well i just put them on the counter and let them come back to liquid form, and they never tasted bad or anything, even, as a bonus, freezing them had the bonus effect of clearing out some "not so ready" beers.

It's all good! :)

If it's already in the bottle, then yea it'll be fine. The freezing most likely killed the yeast, but if it's already carbed then it doesn't matter.

I let them thaw, swirl them for a bit, then let them sit for another few hours. Usually tastes fine, sometimes a bit flat.

*EDIT* I've heard that drinking frozen beer gives you the sh1ts, but I've never found that.
*EDIT*EDIT* Damn you profanity filter! On a board full of brewers (all assumingly of legal age), why the need of a swear filter?

Most of us are only of legal physical age.... mostly under maturity age :ban:

So I guess, the limit still has to apply.

Latest posts

Back