Blueberry wheat fermentation schedule

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wrathbone

Reaction score
I'm currently making a blueberry wheat beer for the girlfriend (I'm in denial that SMBO). It is in it's second day in the primary. Now, from what I gather, wheat beers are best enjoyed "green." It will need a secondary and tertiary fermentation though, to add the blueberries then let the gunk settle out. I was thinking the schedule would be something like:

1 week primary (assuming fermentation is done)
1 week secondary (with blueberries)
1 week tertiary
Bottle.

Is that a good schedule for this type of beer?

i would leave it in tertiary for 2 weeks. by that point your letting the proteins from the blueberries and any residual yeast thats kicked up resettle. when you add the blueberries since your adding fermentables your going to restart fermentation you have to check the gravity to see when its done. Also make sure your carful with contaminents on the fruit as i would suggest freezing them first to kill most of the bacteria/wild yeast on it and also to rupture the cell walls in the fruit. This should result in more flavor removed during secondary.

I never anticipate it clearing up, seeing as it's a wheat. I will lengthen the time in the tertiary, or maybe sneak a taste after a week and see how it's progressed.

I bought frozen blueberries because they're already pasteurized. I've also been putting them through a freezing/thawing schedule for the past week to really break down the cell walls.

depending on what yeast your using most dont flocculate well so its never going to completly clear nor would you want it too. However it will be bennifical to give it time to clear in a tertiary after the fruit addition. PLay it by ear but it sounds like your on the right track with the freeze thaw cycle. let us know how it comes out

I'm using 2 pounds of frozen blueberries for my 5 gallon batch - do you think I might want to increase that by a pound or 2?

i'm doing a blueberry ale on friday and plan on using 3 lbs of frozen blueberries and was wondering if that was enough. I have no experience with blueberries in beer though. From what I've read up to 5 lbs per 5 gal. is appropriate.

I'm not sure about blueberries, but I made a lager, with 4# cherries and 1.75# black and red raspberries. It was a big hit at the Memorial Day cookout. Nice fruit flavor, and if anything, the fruitiness was light, and not over powering. This was just under a 5 gal. batch, and yielded 48 - 12oz bottles. It had a beautiful red color, and a nice malty character, after the fruit flavor. I'm definitely going to have to make this one again. everyone liked it, even my Mom, and she's not a big beer drinker, either.

Personally, I would use more fruit than you are currently planning. Provided they are real, unsweetened blueberries. IMO

Good luck

Back