Light Lemonade Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thx...i didn't notice, was this carb'd ?

Also, if we can't find Sue Bee Honey, what should we be looking for, Clover?

Just as a followup, this is a 3month Mead?

It took the OP 16 days till it was done and he said he waited a week or so to bottle. When I make this, I give it a month in the primary then bottle and let it sit. It's good young but better as it ages.

It took the OP 16 days till it was done and he said he waited a week or so to bottle. When I make this, I give it a month in the primary then bottle and let it sit. It's good young but better as it ages.

OK but what I'm trying to figure out I'd if I make this now, when can I expect to open a bottle. You say you let yours sit, for how long, I'm hoping to make this as a summer drink.

It's good young so you can open a bottle a week or 2 after bottling it. It gets much better as it sits though.

Mine is just done fermenting and it tastes like rotten fruit; hopefully it'll age out but I don't see myself drinking it in a week or so.

When you guys make 5 gallon batches, where do you put it for drinking? Cause 5 gallons is a lot of bottles.

EDIT: so is this recipe 4 or 5 gallons of water?

I bottled mine last weekend. I put some in mason jars and heated them just like you were canning. It seals the jars and pasteurized them. Didn't effect the flavor or alcohol content.

Started a gallon last night with raspberry lemonade concentrate and used safale-04 ale yeast (it's what I had on hand!). Just curious if anyone has carbonated this and how that was?

Started a gallon last night with raspberry lemonade concentrate and used safale-04 ale yeast (it's what I had on hand!). Just curious if anyone has carbonated this and how that was?

Curious about how this turned out? This recipe is on my short list and I would like to use S04 as well.

This is my first mead ever, and from my research it looks like mead takes a while to be drinkable, so I was going to go with a 3 month schedule on this one since the ABV is only around 9%. I was planning on trying it sometime in December, and will post back here when I do!!

Put this together on Sunday afternoon (half the recipe) - used local wildflower honey. OG of 1.070. It's bubbling along pretty well now, but it's odd not to see krausen on the top!

Just bottled this this morning - final gravity was right at 1.00... sure has a "wine" taste, but not having done a mead before, I'm assuming that normal?

Just bottled this this morning - final gravity was right at 1.00... sure has a "wine" taste, but not having done a mead before, I'm assuming that normal?

When its young, it reminds me of a dry white wine. As it ages, the lemon flavor begins to stand out more.

Just bottled this. Its been almost 3 months and it finished out at.994 (10.4%) . Decided not to carbonate it or back sweeten, so its really dry, but I like it! It tastes like a dry white wine with a little flavor coming through. You can smell a light lemon scent, and it cleared completly. I think I will use an extra can of concentrate next time. Look forward to seeing if any more flavor comes through with a little more aging. I got (3) 750ml wine bottles out of it, so I`ll leave one to age and drink the rest!! I also threw together a gallon of mango citrus mead using mango puree and welches 100% mixed citris juice (orange/grapefruit/tangerine) with 24oz of clover honey, Safale 04, and some pectic enzyme for the puree. It smells good too, cant wait to try both!!!

When its young, it reminds me of a dry white wine. As it ages, the lemon flavor begins to stand out more.

I made up a dozen "beer" bottles of it, and two half-litres... so I think I'll drink a few of the bottles in the next week or so, and age the half-litres for 6 months and see the difference.

I brewed this up on the 11/24 and pitched the 25th. Only mod is that I also added 1# of frozen strawberries. OG was ~1.08. Started bubbling w/in 24 hrs and has been going good since. Just took a sample today and it's at 1.01, so still has a little bit to go since still bubbling. Not sure how much the strawberries affected the gravity.

Tasting, it has a nice crisp flavor with a little sweetness, but still a little boozy taste. Think I'll keep it in the fermentor for another week then taste again. That small amount sure left me a warm and fuzzy, so may not want the gravity to drop much more.

Wow - this turned out to be a fantastic drink! Now I wish I had brewed a full batch! I'm going to drink half and age the other half, but it is very drinkable now! Also, super strong!

How did the strawberry addition turn out? I was thinking about doing this batch but racking in onto strawberries after done in the primary....any thoughts?

How did the strawberry addition turn out? I was thinking about doing this batch but racking in onto strawberries after done in the primary....any thoughts?

After about 3 weeks bottled, it still has a tart, dry twang. After chilling, I added straight to fermenter with 1# of frozen strawberries where it sat for 3 weeks before bottling. The flavor is very mild and I wish I added more like 2. When bottling, I thought it needed a little more sweetness so I added appx 4-5oz of fructose. Also wish I added a little more.

So 5 days after my last post and now they are over carbed. I guess I got excited and made a rookie mistake and didn't check gravity. Oh well I put them in the fridge to calm the yeasties. Even over carbed it's still damn good.

If anyone is interested here's my go at it.
6 pounds clover honey
2 pounds sugar
5 tsp yeast nutrient
4 cans of minute maid lemon
S 05 yeast

My guess is that there was too much sugar in the 4th can of Lemonade... that's why it over-carbed. I made mine with 3 cans, and added 1/4 cup lemon juice.

No I just made a mistake and didn't check gravity. Last night the people I had over drank about 25 bottles of it. I'd say it's a hit.

Oh as soon as I knew it was a lil over carbed a threw them in the fridge to stop fermentation.

I really want to make this, but I can't decide whether I should make a 5 gallon batch as originally intended, or a 4 gallon batch as the OP did when they made a mistake and only put in 4 gallons total.

I guess the 4 gallon batch would just end up a little sweeter and with more alcohol?

Last night, I opened a bottle of Limeaid Mead which I made using this recipe but instead of lemonade concentrate, I used limeaid concentrate. It is very good! I highly recommend using this recipe with other frozen concentrates.

Made a batch of this on 1/23/14 was a bit scared that the D47 wasn't doing anything or maybe I killed it but my airlock is chugging away crazy no foam .. smells great but I forgot to take a gravity reading before I pitched the yeast ......:( so I'm just guna wait for it to clear

This stuff smells awesome compaired to my jqgm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

My batch of this is two weeks in smells great as it ferments

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Home Brew mobile app

Back