What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boulevard Smokestack Series Reverb Imperial Pilsner

My camera stinks. Just finally ordered a new one. I like the art on the bottle. It looks like a vintage Fender tube amp or something.

As usual with Boulevard's Smokestack Series, it's excellent.

:mug:

reverbpils.jpg

Another from NordeastBrewer77 -- an Odell IPA.

This is a delicious beer. Very citrusy hops aroma with a bit of pine thrown in along with some dank notes. The hops flavor is more citrusy/tropical, and the bitterness balance is fantastic with a beautifully crisp, dry finish.

image-3819977505.jpg

Another from NordeastBrewer77 -- an Odell IPA.

This is a delicious beer. Very citrusy hops aroma with a bit of pine thrown in along with some dank notes. The hops flavor is more citrusy/tropical, and the bitterness balance is fantastic with a beautifully crisp, dry finish.

Yes, just had one earlier too. They make some good beers.

I'm staying with the in-laws tonight, so until the home brew I brought chills, I'm drinking UFO Pumpkin. It's passable, but there are much better ones out there.

OK next up another English Pale that I cannot find around here, that I am enjoying thanks to NordeastBrewer77. Wells Bombardier, a Premium Bitter that (generally speaking) fits the style guidelines to a T. Light caramel malt and floral hops, with distinctly English fruity esters at moderate levels. Balance is somewhat dry with a mildly bitter finish, although the malt certainly makes its presence known. The only complaint I really have is that I think the carbonation is a tad high for the style, probably as a courtesy to the US market. The acidic bite from the carbonation takes away a bit from the delicious malt and ester profile.

image-3065134267.jpg

Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Lagunitas a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale. Damn and Damn again! Doubledamn I should say. I mean yell!

image-3776948738.jpg

Having one of these for the first time. Interesting beer, Im enjoying aspects of it very much. Next time I'll grab some to age so I can enjoy it properly.

jonmohno said:
Great Lakes Edmund Fitzgerald Porter and Lagunitas a Little Sumpin' Sumpin' ale. Damn and Damn again! Doubledamn I should say. I mean yell!

I picked up an Edmund Fitzgerald in a mix pack while I was in Chicago last month. I really enjoyed it and am disappointed I only bought one.

I picked up an Edmund Fitzgerald in a mix pack while I was in Chicago last month. I really enjoyed it and am disappointed I only bought one.

I also picked up a few when I was in Chicago a couple of months ago, but that's because it is listed as the #1 example in BJCP style guidelines for a Robust Porter, and I'd never had a chance to try it.

I got 5 more to go:mug:,it just came more available in my area also,now I dont have to drive one-two hours away to get any of their stuff. Did you get any Floydes stuff? The Sumpin sumpin actually remindes me of a bigger brother to a Floydes Gumball head. I still cant get any of that stuff unless I get nearer to Chicago. I was itching to go again actually this weekend but last time those tollways pissed me off too much to go back anytime soon.

image-95039213.jpg

I wasn't really in the mood for an imperial stout but I came across this and was curious. It's a well made beer, of course, and it has a nice rich chocolate character to it but something about the roast character and how it melds with the alcohol is coming across like anise to me and it's ruining it for me.

jonmohno said:

I've got a few Little Sumpin Sumpin's left that I've been looking forward to. Might have to end the night with one.

An imperial stout blended with coffee from Tuckahoe Brewing, a local nano by me. Good stuff and I being a teacher I think its cool drinking a beer from a brewery owned by some local teachers.

jonmohno said:
I got 5 more to go:mug:,it just came more available in my area also,now I dont have to drive one-two hours away to get any of their stuff. Did you get any Floydes stuff? The Sumpin sumpin actually remindes me of a bigger brother to a Floydes Gumball head. I still cant get any of that stuff unless I get nearer to Chicago. I was itching to go again actually this weekend but last time those tollways pissed me off too much to go back anytime soon.

I made a stop at Three Floyds while I was there. Tried five beers on tap and bought a six of Gumballhead, a six of Pride and Joy and a bomber of Topless Wytch. I have to credit Three Floyds with helping me appreciate beers with a higher hop character than I would normally drink.

Centennial Blonde, can't be much left in this keg. It's like pop goes the weasel every time I pull the tap handle, kinda exciting.

OK next up another English Pale that I cannot find around here, that I am enjoying thanks to NordeastBrewer77. Wells Bombardier, a Premium Bitter that (generally speaking) fits the style guidelines to a T. Light caramel malt and floral hops, with distinctly English fruity esters at moderate levels. Balance is somewhat dry with a mildly bitter finish, although the malt certainly makes its presence known. The only complaint I really have is that I think the carbonation is a tad high for the style, probably as a courtesy to the US market. The acidic bite from the carbonation takes away a bit from the delicious malt and ester profile.

That's pretty much my take on that one. Perfect example of the style, but a bit overcarbed. It's less bubbly in bottles, but I haven't found bottles in a few years. When it's warm and a tad flat, it's amazing.
I'm glad you liked the O'Dell too, that's one of my go to IPAs. It's so tasty and easy to drink!

I'm working on trying to warm up after a looong BBQ session.

HPIM1267.jpg

Love the time of year when this one hits the shelves. It's become a winter comfort beer for me. This year's is quite good, I'm looking forward to many, many more.

Recent standout commercial beers I've had:

8 Wired Saison Sauvin from New Zealand. Lovely beer. Spicy Saison yeast character married lovingly to Nelson Sauvin hops.

http://8wired.co.nz/our-brews/saison-sauvin-0

De Struise Black Albert, very tasty Belgian Imperial Stout. 13% abv. Thick, chewy, tasty.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/15237/38334

Westvleteren 12. Every bit as good as they say. A touch more bitter than I expected, which was a pleasant surprise. Yeast reminded me of Rochefort (yes, I know it's Westmalle), but this beer is much better than Rochefort 10, to me anyway.

And finally, a Mikkeller Imperial IPA. Can't find the bottle at the moment, but it was quite tasty. From that madman from Copenhagen.

Bought all of these at the Belgian Beer Weekend in Brussels, first weekend of September. Highly recommended beer festival for those who haven't attended.

Had a Drakes 1500 on cask, Knee Deep Hoptologist, a liter of Dead Guy, to Deviant Dales, etc

Dude if you get any extra (no idea how they do things at Surly), I will gladly trade you a Bruery Black Tuesday for one.

Let me see what I get. Limit's either 4 or 6 and I only have one wristband, but I am on a list at two stores too, so if it hits stores, I'll have plenty. I already promised one it trade, but I should have more I can spare. I'll let ya know.

bottlebomber said:
Easy buddy.. Lol. I don't want to see your "I fell asleep and my beer boiled down to a gallon!" thread :D

No doubt, haha. Thankfully the boil is over because this one is gonna whip me

image-3257181902.jpg

9.9%, are you kidding me?

allenH said:
No doubt, haha. Thankfully the boil is over because this one is gonna whip me

9.9%, are you kidding me?

Huh.. I'll have to keep an eye out for that one, I haven't seen it around in awhile. I think it's law for Lagunitas that there beers have to be at least 8% and 80 IBU. I've been wanting to try their fractional IPA

Back