added priming sugar too early

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdawghop

Reaction score
Hello all,
Just started my first batch of beer horay! When I put the wort into the fermentaion bucket I misread the directions and also disolved the priming sugar in boiling water and added it to the wort just before the yeast. I dont think it will ruin the beer but I do wonder how this effects what I do when it its time to prime. Same measurements or not? If it helps I am brewing what is called Pale rider ale and I am not using a secondary.Thanks for any help!

No problem. What you added will get fermented with everything else. Does not change your priming calculations.

Will not be a big problem. Beer will have a slightly higher ABV, and be slightly dryer. Assuming a 5 gal batch, just add 2/3 cup regular sugar to your bottling bucket when you go to bottle.

The additional sugar will raise the final alcohol content by about 0.5% and that's all. Use more priming sugar when you bottle. About 120 grams.

Thanks much guys! Bigcorona: yes 5 gal batch. using regular sugar does not affect the brew in any negative way i suppose?

"regular" sugar as opposed to corn sugar? Corn sugar ferments more easily in the oxygen deprived environment in fully fermented beer.

"regular" sugar as opposed to corn sugar? Corn sugar ferments more easily in the oxygen deprived environment in fully fermented beer.

Everything I have been reading recently (the last coup,e years)... especally since the "Belgian Craze" is that just about any sugar is OK to prime with....

I forget why in the "Olden Days" we were told not to use it... about all I can remember is that it "might" add a cidery taste to the beer.

I added 4 pounds of Turbinado sugar to a Belgian and not one i-o-ta of off taste was apparent...

like I said I don't remember why?

DPB

I am also curious about your opinions on using another 5gal bucket for a seconday vs a carboy. I think this would obviously save me some money so I could decide if I want to continue brewing and invest in a carboy.

I am also curious about your opinions on using another 5gal bucket for a seconday vs a carboy. I think this would obviously save me some money so I could decide if I want to continue brewing and invest in a carboy.

There will be no difference. Save some money and go with the bucket.

Plenty of people also do only a primary and just leave it there for 2-4 weeks. That will give you room for 2 brews not just one. I have done that several times now. :mug:

There will be no difference. Save some money and go with the bucket.

I disagree. There is two minor differences. One is that the carboy is clear, some people like to look at their beer to see how clear its getting or how much trub has dropped to the bottom. The other is that its possible for plastic to get little microscopic scratches from cleaning or just stuff touching the sides. It's pretty much unavoidable over a long enough period of time. Those little scratches can make it so your sanitizer can't get in and properly sanitize and thus lead to infection (repeat infections if you don't throw it out after the first one).

However, that chance isn't huge on a per brew basis. Given 10 years you'll probably need to throw it out where as a carboy you wouldn't, but 1 year, 2 years? It'll probably be more than fine.

Also there is the point made above that you generally don't really need to use secondary at all, just let it sit in primary for 3-6 weeks. You really only need to rack to secondary if you're going to be aging it for much much longer than that, or you want to rack ontop of something like fruit or dryhop (although some people have had plenty of success by just adding to the primary). I only rack to secondary because I've got a 6.5 gal and 5 gal so I need to free up the 6.5 to start the next batch.

I prefer to not have all the head space of a bucket during my secondary. I tend to leave my secondary (when I do one) for a long time and the lack of head space helps me worry less about an infection taking over from racking.

Back