Grain Mill Recomendations

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kickrjason

Reaction score
I am looking to get a mill soon. Any suggestions as to the best one to get regarding durability and lifetime of use. I dont want to spend the $ on a cheaper one if a year down the road i hate it.

id say a malt mill.....thats what my lhbs uses and its been there for years...

i use a barley crusher but the one floating roller can be a pita some times.

Monster Mill with 2" diameter rollers (like the MM2-2.0)...

There's more than a few posts on this subject. Next time, use the search feature and read what's already been posted. There's even some threads at the bottom of this page now related to this.

Golddiggie said:
There's more than a few posts on this subject. Next time, use the search feature and read what's already been posted. There's even some threads at the bottom of this page now related to this.

Thanks for the lesson on how to use a forum. I was looking at some of those and they have some pretty old posts. There are more then a few new companies advertising mills and i wanted to get updated feedback.

Thanks for the lesson on how to use a forum. I was looking at some of those and they have some pretty old posts. There are more then a few new companies advertising mills and i wanted to get updated feedback.

There is at least one from within the past month (roughly). If you consider that old, then you have deeper issues. There are several threads from this year alone too.

I just got my barley crusher. First time crushing my grain it worked like a charm. Nice crush. Didn't malt condition but next time I will try it..

I've been happy with my Barley Crusher. Plus it has a lifetime warranty on it, so if something ever broke, it's not like I'd have to go buy a new one.

i was thinking about ordering a Barley Crusher but keep reading that there customer service sucks, and they dont do much for the "lifetime warranty" if my mill goes and i want to be dont think i will be to happy, or wanting to wait 3 weeks for some copy and paste response. think i might look for something else. there are post all over about there bad customer service.

i was thinking about ordering a Barley Crusher but keep reading that there customer service sucks, and they dont do much for the "lifetime warranty" if my mill goes and i want to be dont think i will be to happy, or wanting to wait 3 weeks for some copy and paste response. think i might look for something else. there are post all over about there bad customer service.

I know from personal experience that Fred from Monster Mill replies to emails even on weekends. He's also quick to supply replacement parts if/when needed. On top of that, he's willing to bend over backwards to keep customers happy (not that we should make him do so).

While the Monster Mills are not as cheap as some others, I see it as money well spent with a company that stands behind what they make. Plus, the ease of reaching them, and what they do to keep us going speaks volumes.

teddy4xp said:
I have a Rebel Mill and love it

I'd love to order one, but they are not responding to PMs and have not been on the board for a week. Looks like it will be a Crankandstien for me.

Golddiggie said:
I know from personal experience that Fred from Monster Mill replies to emails even on weekends. He's also quick to supply replacement parts if/when needed. On top of that, he's willing to bend over backwards to keep customers happy (not that we should make him do so).

While the Monster Mills are not as cheap as some others, I see it as money well spent with a company that stands behind what they make. Plus, the ease of reaching them, and what they do to keep us going speaks volumes.

This is what I wanted to hear. Is the three roll mill worth the extra $$ on a Homebrewers scale. Or will the two roller be sufficient for a lifetime of brewing?

This is what I wanted to hear. Is the three roll mill worth the extra $$ on a Homebrewers scale. Or will the two roller be sufficient for a lifetime of brewing?

If you go with the hardened rollers, and don't live where you NEED stainless, they will be used by generations to come.

I bought a Rebel Mill back in March and due to life happenings it is still sitting on the dinning room table unused.......... So sad!
I would be willing to sell it for what I paid for it.

Golddiggie said:
If you go with the hardened rollers, and don't live where you NEED stainless, they will be used by generations to come.

What would define "needing" stainless. I'm married to an officer in the military so who the hell knows where I'll be living over the next 20 or so years.

What's the big advantage of the third roller? Northern brewer says its for motorizing but I've seen plenty of two roller mills motorized.

What's the big advantage of the third roller? Northern brewer says its for motorizing but I've seen plenty of two roller mills motorized.

I have the three roller mill that I bought at Northern Brewer. I absolutely love it. The first gap starts the barley cracking with a fixed .070(IIRC) gap, and the second finishes the job. This causes very few shredded husks. When I run it through it almost looks like whole kernels in the bucket, but when you reach in and look at them they are broken up quite a bit inside the husk. More complete husks mean less tannins, better efficiency, and easier lautering. Well worth the extra money in my opinion.

I power mine with a 9.6v Dewalt cordless drill motor. You will have to get a drill with some low rpm torque to run this mill. I tried a cheapy corded one and the low end torque was not sufficient to turn the rollers. Hand cranking is for suckers.:rockin:

Latest posts

Back