Michigan must try beers.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryanh1801

Reaction score
What are some beers that I need to try while up in MI. Going up there this weekend for a wedding and wanted to bring some goods back. Seems like I have heard good things about Bell's beers. What else is there to try.

Of Bell's brews I'd say that Two Hearted IPA, Kalamazoo Stout, Oberon, and their Pale ale are *must* tries - all are very good brews imo.

I can't speak to other breweries in MI, but you should be able to pickup some GLBC (Dortmunder Gold, Nosferatu, Edmund Fitzgerald, Holy Moses) and Thirsty Dog (Old Leghumper, Hoppus Maximus, Balto) brews while you're close to Ohio.

Cool thanks guys, bought a 6 pack of the Edmund Fitzgerald last time I was in town, pretty decent beer. Ill have to see what I can find of those listed.

Final Absolution from Dragomead is a must-drink for sure.

I'm also really fond of the Sacred Cow IPA at Arbor Brewing Company in Ann Arbor -- it's ok in bottles, but the cask-conditioned hand pumped version in the brewpub is outstanding IMHO.

I also want to echo the vote for Oberon and Two Hearted from Bell's as must try beers.

I'll second Arbor Brewing company. The Sacred Cow IPA and the Olde #22 Alt are two of my favorites.

I don't care much for Bell's Oberon (it's the college micro of choice) but they make some good stouts, with the Expedition Stout and Coffee Stout being my favorites there.

New Holland makes good beers all around.

And Great Lakes Brewing isn't a MI beer, it's from Cleveland, OH (but I do enjoy their Pale Ale all the same)

I would second the Dragonmead Brewery recommendation - I wish they had bottled stuff up this far.

Founders Breakfast Stout if you are able to find it. (Seasonal)

Michigan Brewing Company's Celis White.

Shorts Brewery (hip-hip for the local guy) makes some good stuff. If you can find it, try the Huma Lupa Licious; its a stellar IPA.

Other than that, my mind is kinda mush today.

Cheers!

I'd echo the recommendation for New Holland (from Holland, MI, my old stomping grounds). Off hand I recall they have a good wit beer, very hoppy pale ale, a good stout among others. If you're in Holland their brewpub has all of these on tap plus specialty beers.

Bell's, of course, is well known. Their Octoberfest is very very good and available now.

Cheers!

Dark Horsehas some good ones thier IPA is great, Dragon Mead is also good. You might have a hard time finding Oberon, where in Mich are you going? We might be able to tell you some good places to get a drink, if you have time.

Oh, one more to add -- I had the People Mover Pilsner from Black Lotus at the MI Beer Festival this summer, and holy hell was that amazing. Much more than I expected from a Pilsner (not that I know much about the style). I don't think they bottle it yet, so at the brewpub in Clawson might be the only place to get it.

If you can hit up Founders definitely try their "All Night Long" Imperial IPA. The awesome tap handle featured hops and Lionel Ritchie. When I was at the Great Lakes Brew Fest a few weeks ago that beer was one of the best I had all day. Talked to one of the brewers and he said it was the first time they'd taken that beer out of their pub. Their Rye is pretty good too.

I don't think I've ever had a bad anything from Bells.

The Beer Depot in Ann Arbor has a lot of the local micros, and serves as the LHBS for the area. They have a pretty good selection, but can be a little on the expensive side. Worth stopping in to see if they have any hard to find "gems" in stock.

Ryanh1801 said:
Cool thanks guys, bought a 6 pack of the Edmund Fitzgerald last time I was in town, pretty decent beer. Ill have to see what I can find of those listed.

Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and never brought to mind
Should auld acquaintance be forgot,
and auld lang syne

For auld lang syne, my dear,for auld lang syne,we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,for auld lang syne. And surely ye’ll be your pint-stoup !
And surely I’ll be mine !
And we’ll tak a cup o’ kindness yet,
for auld lang syne.

Maybe some of you Michigan peeps can explain what the deal is with Atwater....had their doppelbock the other night and was really disappointed. Looking online, it appears that all their beers are generally considered rather subpar.

brewt00l said:
Maybe some of you Michigan peeps can explain what the deal is with Atwater....had their doppelbock the other night and was really disappointed. Looking online, it appears that all their beers are generally considered rather subpar.

Could have just been a bad batch, poor bottle cap, I'm sure it happens, I know I bought an arcadia sampler a few weeks back and 11 out of 12 where bad (gushers, though I am going to blame this one on the store I bought them from).

As to a mich beer I'm going to have to say if your near lansing go to michigan brewing company and try the High Seas IPA and then pick up some Celis White

justinmcdevitt said:
Could have just been a bad batch, poor bottle cap, I'm sure it happens, I know I bought an arcadia sampler a few weeks back and 11 out of 12 where bad (gushers, though I am going to blame this one on the store I bought them from).

As to a mich beer I'm going to have to say if your near lansing go to michigan brewing company and try the High Seas IPA and then pick up some Celis White

Check the ratebeer and beeradvocate ratings on their brews...it would seem they don't send out too many good batches in that case. edit: ;)

If you're in Grand Rapids, check out a small brewery called Schmohz- by bro is a part-time brewer there! Great beer.

I second the vote for Founders (also in GR). Their Breakfast Stout is heavenly... Think its got brandy in it.

I'm formerly from GR. Where are those two located? GR seems to have so much more going on than when I lived there in the late 80's

BrianP said:
I'm formerly from GR. Where are those two located? GR seems to have so much more going on than when I lived there in the late 80's

Dude

GR has changed a ton since the 80's!!

The Buffalo Stop is long gone (If you don't know what it is never mind). The city is growing, but suffering from some serious ecconomincal problems. Leer and GM are toast, Auto Die is owned by foriegners. Shops closing everywhere and the list goes on forever...

One cool thing about GR is that it is becoming a medical mecca. Van Andel, Devos, Miejer, and other big dollar philanthropists are growing old and dying off. What happens when you have hundreds of Millions or even Billions of dollars and you are getting old as dirt?

Exactly! You pour money into the local medical facilities so your ancient a$$ can live to enjoy that money a bit longer. They did and everyone reaps the bennies.

Beer wise Founders is making a name for themselves and another coup de grâce is that Bell's is now mostly brewed in *Comstock Park. They are still brewing in Kalamazoo, but mostly for the pub and small batch stuff. Primary production is done in Comstock.

Yes, many Major changes since the 80's

*Comstock Park is a small city that comprises part of greater Grand Rapids for those that don't know. Like a lot ofgrowing citys GR swallowed up all the small ones around it. Look at a map of Houston, Detriot, Chicago etc to see what I mean.

Robar said:
Dude

GR has changed a ton since the 80's!!

I get to GR fairly often, family still lives there. Downtown is SO much better than when I lived there. It actually has a decent nightlife.

I lived in Holland for ten years, working in the furniture industry, now I'm not too far away living outside of Ann Arbor. Yes, the manufacturing industry in Michigan has taken a beating - but I guess it also has in beyond Michigan.

I went out to Allendale (my alma mater) recently - holy crap that place has grown. Amazing.

Later,
BP

BrianP said:
I went out to Allendale (my alma mater) recently - holy crap that place has grown. Amazing.

Later,
BP

Allendale Exploded!! 20 years ago there wasn't anything there but a tiny little town with an unheard of college. NOW WOW. Great University with all theat goes with a collage town. Top notch football team, the works. I'm not even a football fan and I get excited about how good the Lakers are for the collage and the town overall.

I went to Coopersville class of 84. If you would have told me back then that Allendale would outgrow C'ville by that much I would have wanted to know what you were smokin.

Night life in GR is something that is hard to get your brain wrapped around. Even when you know its there, every ounce of common sense tells you that you're just confused. Though I'm not much for night life in the big town I have been to the BOB a few times as well as going strictly for Doctor Grins a couple more. I love stand up and had a great time on both occasions.

One of these days I need to see about touring the breweries. It's one of those things I always think about doing, but never get any farther then thinking about it. Sounds a lot like mowing the lawn... Later!

Back