Rogue Voodoo Bacon Maple Donut Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it has a smell exactly like a smokey version of mrs. butterworths. honestly made me want to gag (the smell). The actual donut from voodoo is much better in my opinion. The beer is pretty smokey. Definitely an experience, funny pink bottle.

I actually kind of liked it.

Not something I will probably drink again, but it was definitely an interesting try.

Smells smoky, and tastes pretty much like a maple bacon donut.

I just had one...better than I was thinking it would be (I thought it would be nasty). Like a lighter version of Dead Guy with smoked malt, bacon and maple flavor added. Drinkable and novel...but once is enough.

I had one at a friends superbowl party. Most people who tried it hated it, I didn't think it was too bad. I wouldn't drink lots of it to be honest. The maple came through a lot stronger than the bacon in my opinion. It was unique.

I just got back from Portland. Went to the Rogue Public House and saw this and thought..."WTF". We had quite a few craft beers in our system at this point and figured why not. SWMBO and myself both really enjoyed it! Went back the next morning to pick up another bottle to bring with to my relatives who lives out there and we all had it for breakfast the next morning. Then we found it at the airport so we brought some home. I actually really enjoy this beer. My question is...how can they sanitarily get bacon in the beer?? The guy working at Rogue said some bottles may even have small pieces of bacon in the bottom of the bottle. I would love to clone this beer...

But how...

There is waaaaaaaay to much going on in the name alone. I don't think i could drink it, and trust me thats says a lot.

i have an empty bottle of it waiting to be filled with good brew.

thankfully, my buddy gave me the empty and he suffered the joy of the internet driven bacon fad.

strambo said:
I just had one...better than I was thinking it would be (I thought it would be nasty). Like a lighter version of Dead Guy with smoked malt, bacon and maple flavor added. Drinkable and novel...but once is enough.

This sums it up for me.

I saw Voodoo Donuts on Man vs. Food. I do believe the donut would be tasty....maple bacon beer though.....*urp* :drunk:

This beer is by far one of the worst things I have ever tasted. Never thought I would say this but if I had a choice I probably would drink a Natty Ice over this brew. I really do like Rouge I just dislike this particular beer.

I love all those things. Not together.

I think there's probably a reason the bottle looks like Pepto Bismol.

I just tried this and I actually didn't think it tasted bad, but the smell was so pungent and awful that I couldn't finish the bottle.

I split a bottle of it with a friend while visiting the Green Dragon in Portland. It was not for me, but appreciated the attempt. My buddy really liked it. I'd suggest anyone considering it to just get one bottle.

I opened a bottle at a beer tasting and everyone agreed it tasted like a campfire that had been put out with maple syrup. The flavors and aromas present changed a bit as the beer warmed too. I would never drink a bottle by myself (probably not a pint either), but it's something interesting to share with a few people. Overall, I'm happy I tried it.

Also, the Rogue brewer I spoke with suggested aging one about 2 years (no more than 5 years), so my second bottle is in the cellar.

image-3118164673.jpg

I'm pretty sure most of the people that have disapproved of this beer or described it as awful are not fans of the rauchbier style. I've got a bottle of this waiting at home and I definitely will be sharing it with others.

I was a fan of it. Of course, I'd drink a bottle of just plain maple syrup with bacon swizzle sticks, but still, enjoyed the beer.

I haven't tried it myself. But the general consensus around the craft beer heads I know was that it was way too over the top. Interesting to try, impossible to finish alone, and most would never purchase it again.

I picked up a bottle at the brewery on my birthday but haven't opened it yet. I am not big on smoke beers but I love the actual Voodoo donuts bacon maple bar. Maybe I will let it age and try it on a future birthday.

i just tried it and I personally think its delicious. I like how the aroma changes between a jelly doughnut and maple bacon. The taste upfront is definitely smokey and complex. The finish is very long mellowing out to a tasty maple syrupy bacon awesomeness complemented with what tasted like jelly and powdered sugar. Then again, they did say it was an acquired taste when I got it.

I split it with two friends. Best to sip it slowly. I'd drink it again, but probably won't buy it...

I absolutely loved this stuff! SWMBO said she would like it more if she didn't get a blast of maple every time went in for a sip.

just thought id mention...dont save the bottles to reuse them. The lip is smaller than average sized bottles so unless you have the special size cap regular ones wont work.

Way more maple than bacon. I bought it thinking "hey, bacon!" No bacon flavor from what I perceived. I understand the bacon flavor is from the smoked grains and a touch of actual bacon but I didn't taste it. All sweet. Tastes like a maple glazed donut. Not that great in my opinion. Rogue has done much better. Just my opinion, I may be wrong.

It was foul. Just thinking about it makes me get that tingly feeling in my gullet.

Some hipster homebrewers brought it to my LHBS tasting last month. They loved it. To each their own.

I'm drinking this as I write, and I'm very impressed. This is the one beer that you will have a different opinion on every drink you take.

Yes, It's smoky, just like a campfire

Yes, It smells like someone spilled syrup at a Denny's

Yes, It is definitely sweet

Yes, the bottle is very appealing

NO, it does not taste too much like bacon, AT TIMES

No, it's not chuggable

Overall, I would say the price of the beer will definitely be the biggest drawback here. Depending on your beer preference, I would say the hop lovers will have an awkward experience, maybe not as pleasant, but definitely worth experiencing. The malt lovers will be questioning their preference in the malts used, but some malts, such as the "House-Smoked Hickory Malt", seem to appeal to those who favor exploring new flavors over those who stick mainly to specific styles.

This brew is MOST DEFINITELY in a category of its own.

Enjoy as I do

I picked up a lot of bacon flavor when I tried it. It's well made beer, but I thought was gross by the end of the bottle. Would not drink again. In fact, I've written off smokey bacon maple beers completely.

I just had this beer tonight. I expected it to be really gimmick-y, but I found it to be just a cleverly marketed smoke beer with carmelly undertones. I'm a fan of the traditional rauchbier style, and I love Schlenkerla. Felt like one if their lighter beers. It didn't taste like bacon, but was crazy-full of hickory smoke. I would say this is worth trying if you like a good smoked beer.

It should be on my doorstep by the time I get home. Has anyone had this? Any comments on what I should expect?
Here's a link to the Rogue website with some details on this brew...

http://rogue.com/beers/voodoo-bacon-maple.php

I think you should expect that Rogue will continue to jump the shark with their far out beer ideas. They've cultivated a yeast isolated from the brewmaster's beard.

It's getting pretty crowded out there in the craft brew world.

Back