Wort Chiller Alternative

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixon72

Reaction score
We all know how expensive soft copper tubing is. I was wondering what the practicality of using regular copper pipe and various 45 dergree fittings would be?

I was looking to make something that would fit in the 12" hole at the top of my Sankey keg and would be tall enough to cool 10 gallon batches in a timely manner.

Would it be very cost effective when compared to store bought 50 ft copper chillers (about $80 or so)? Would it disperse the cold temperature of the water running through it as well as the soft copper tubing?

This would obviously be soldered together. What are some things to consider when buying solder/flux aside from being lead free?

Thanks in advance for the help!

-Dixon

I can't imagine buying all those 45degree fittings being cheaper than just buying soft copper

Ya, I figured that would be the pricey part. I'm going to hit the local hardware store and see how much the 45 degree fittings will be. I just figured I'd ask on here 1st.

Back