Why no USA immersion heat sticks like this one..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheSlash

Reaction score
I hope I can post a link...

Why can't we get something like this over here in the USA? This thing is 1500 watt submersible! So simple...

Well at least I've looked for days and can only find the bucket heater that's 1000 watt.

I need 2 simple 1250 or 1500watt 15amp heatsticks, but really would rather just buy them then make them and worry about silicone leaks...

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAVEL-BOILER-I...&otn=2&po=LVI&ps=63&clkid=6700814645679733303

boiler10.jpg

Boy that would be sweet. I don't know anything about electrical, but I wonder if it is possible to just cut off the plug and just tie a new one in.

You can get adapters, but I'm assuming it would cut down the wattage too when you go from 220 to 110?

Well, you could find someone who IS confident in their electrical knowledge and have them do it for you. It's really simple, actually.

these are normally used for heating water for tea or coffee. I don't imagine the whole thing is intended to be immersed. We used to use these as a kid. It's be no problem to re-wire ... but recognize these are not grounded

A single digit percentage of Americans would electrocute or brand themselves with that. Make sure you are connected to a GFCI if you find one or are going to convert it. Also here in America we have our own coffee makers and stoves, making the hotstick obsolete for purposes other than beermaking.

these are normally used for heating water for tea or coffee. I don't imagine the whole thing is intended to be immersed. We used to use these as a kid. It's be no problem to re-wire ... but recognize these are not grounded

Well it's 13 inches long.....that's a big cup of tea :D

To tell the truth I haven't seen one of these since the 70's, almost every body in our Dorm had one ....and most everybody burned themsleves too.

you can get these in the US. do a search for "bucket heater".

farmers use them to keep livestock drinking water from freezing in the winter.

The liquid it goes into should be grounded. Typically, a metal pot would be grounded any time it contains fluid and there are any electrical appliances around.

Additionally, this heat stick should (as mentioned) be plugged into a GFCI.

Nice find all the other bucket heaters I've found were only 1000W. This company also makes one 2000w as well.

Would be awesome if it went over 195. Would work well for HLT though if the depth fit. Doesnt look submersible.

Nice find tho wow.

you can get these in the US. do a search for "bucket heater".

farmers use them to keep livestock drinking water from freezing in the winter.
I just got one and it says "for water only" which they do not say on the amazon page. So I contacted the seller and he said "This bucket heater is designed for water grade instead of food grade. So we donot suggest that use this to cook your wort."

I have the same one and used to use it in a 10gal rubbermaid cooler for a hlt. It is submersible meaning you can put in liquid beyond the top of the heater itself. I never tried to boil with it, but it would get pretty close...~200*F or so if I left in the cooler.

I got rid of it since it is not food safe and I used the funds to get this https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/132773895147
IMG_4457.JPG

It works very well as it fits down low in the kettle as the mash is filling the kettle and when combined with propane heat it cut the time in half.

update. It starting melting above the metal part before I used it for a year. luckily I caught it before plastic dripped into my beer!

Back