GF Grain Equivalents

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aggieotis

Reaction score
This post is spun off from deep within another thread, so I thought I'd make it into a new thread as the information is pretty relevant to most of us.

I went through the information on www.nutritiondata.com to try and find which crude GF grain profiles are closest to those that will kill/maim celiacs. I thought this information was pretty decent and seems to mirror some of our results. Keep in mind though that this is just the crude profile. There are all sorts of other subtleties that don't make it through. For example, while similar in profile millet doesn't taste a thing like rye.

Non-GF Grains
Grain: Carbs/Fats/Protein; Fullness Factor/ND Weighting; %RDA of Calcium/Iron;
Barley: 87/3/10; 2.9/3.3; 6/28
Wheat: 84/4/12; 2.2/3.4; 6/49
Rye: 81/6/13; 2.4/3.7; 6/25
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41

GF Grains
Sorghum: 89/8/3; 2.0/2.9; 5/47
Chestnuts: 89/4/7; 1.6/3.5; 1/4
Millet: 80/9/11; 2.0/3.1; 2/33
Teff: 80/6/14; 2.0/3.8; 35/82
Buckwheat: 79/8/13; 2.1/3.5; 3/21
Amaranth: 71/16/13; 2.0/3.9; 31/82
Quinoa: 70/15/15; 2.0/3.6; 8/43
Oats: 70/15/15; 2.2/3.5; 8/41

The numbers are definitely fudgy at best and miss a lot of the important micronutrients like FAN, but the crude profile indicates that for Beer production:
Wheat ~ Millet, Teff
Barley ~ Sorghum, Chestnuts
Rye ~ Buckwheat
Oats ~ GF Oats (duh), Quinoa, Amaranth

Wait, are you suggesting...

A mix?

A mix of chesnuts and sorghum works great. I've found if I make a chestnut beer with corn sugar and a touch of sorghum it really improves the quality.

This was a great post by the way. I happened upon the chestnut / barley numbers 6 months ago and that's why I experimented with them. Pretty cool field we're playing in.

A mix of chesnuts and sorghum works great. I've found if I make a chestnut beer with corn sugar and a touch of sorghum it really improves the quality.

This was a great post by the way. I happened upon the chestnut / barley numbers 6 months ago and that's why I experimented with them. Pretty cool field we're playing in.

Wow, this is great stuff! Nice work! Hadn't put together the chestnut component before. Can't wait to work it into the next batch.

Matt, I totally agree, this is a very cool field we're working. Enormous upside beyond just the strictly GF community... the rest just don't know it yet... ::D

Latest posts

Back