Extract twang in AG brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeezBrew

Reaction score
I just bottled my first AG beer, EdWorts Pale ale, about a week ago and opened one up today to just see how the carbonation was coming along when i detected the dreaded twang. It's not that bad, but noticeable. I didn't detect it when i bottled so this happened within a week. So here's my question:

Can bottle conditioning in a 75 degree apartment impart off flavors to the finished product? I assumed not, however, the yeast are processing the dextrose under warm conditions so could they be spitting out bad by products? I noticed that the beer wasn't clear, obviously the yeast was doing its job, maybe that twang is from the yeast in suspension? I don't know, thoughts?

Hi BeezBrew.

How long since you brewed it? This is a very quick fermenting beer and tempts you to drink it early.

I can't speak to the commonality of experience with this brew, but I can tell you I brewed some of EdWorts Pale ale up a while back on a partial mash. It was at the begginning of the pipeline so I pushed it through a bit quick. I got it in the keg in like 13 days and let it quick card for 2 or 3 days then tasted. It had a very bright kind of bitey twang that came in at the start of the mouthful and lingerred on the finish. Now I knew I had gunned it through so I just let it go. Each day it sat on the gas it got a little softer, and by the end of 3 weeks it was very drinkable. Going into the 4th week it tasted just fine. It became a wonderfully drinkable beer. So I'd guess you need to give it another week or two before you judge it. It is a very quick finishing beer, but sometimes that's still not as quick as we want it to be.

What do you mean exactly by this twang? Is it more of a hop thing or an alcohol thing? I've noticed before I had temperature control and fermented at temps greater than 80 that the beer taste... like, volatile? When you drank it it had this alcoholy taste which I could only describe as what you would expect beer to taste like if you added a teaspoon of isopropyl alcohol to it. It wasn't overpowering but it was there. I've since added temperature control and that problem has gone away.

If this is the twang you are talking about than I would associate it with the warmer fermentation temp for the conditioning. But as the guys above said, usually if you just give it a few weeks itle end up tasting better.

I'm thinking you may be confusing an extract twang for the taste of it being green. A lot of beers I've had on tap at various big club get togethers had a similar flavor that I was attributing to either being extract or something else... not necessarily bad beer but you wouldn't ever confuse it for something commercial. Then the first beer that I kegged tasted the same way (after 5 weeks, too! 2/3) and I thought 'what did I do wrong?' I noticed a day or two later that the taste had disappeared, so I assume it was from being green. That, or maybe it was cheesy hops or something that disappeared. Either way, sit back and wait for it to fix itself.

I'm thinking you may be confusing an extract twang for the taste of it being green. A lot of beers I've had on tap at various big club get togethers had a similar flavor that I was attributing to either being extract or something else... not necessarily bad beer but you wouldn't ever confuse it for something commercial. Then the first beer that I kegged tasted the same way (after 5 weeks, too! 2/3) and I thought 'what did I do wrong?' I noticed a day or two later that the taste had disappeared, so I assume it was from being green. That, or maybe it was cheesy hops or something that disappeared. Either way, sit back and wait for it to fix itself.

This is what i was hoping for, i guess i didn't know what that "green" taste was. But yeah, it does have that "homebrew" taste that i was trying to avoid so hopefully with time it'll disappear.

Back