Fly Sparge Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomebrewHarry

Reaction score
I'm brand new to home brewing and have been doing a lot of reading on the different brewing methods. I want to move to AG as soon as possible. I just had a quick question about fly sparging. Why is it necessary to make sure your flow from your HLT and out of your MLT are relatively equal? Does is matter if you end up with a high level of water on top of your grains in your MLT? I've read that it's recommended that you keep about an inch or two of water on top. Not less because your grains could get too dry and you would have a stuck mash. By why does it matter if there is more water over your grains as long as your flow out of your MLT to your BK is sufficiently slow? Thanks!

2" is just a rule of thumb. You can dump all your water on top if you like and have room, but you wont be able to keep it hot. One of the reasons for the 2" is so you can keep your extra sparge water at a constant temp in another vessel.
Cheers
JJ

And welcome to the forum!

Also the slower you go the better your efficiency in my experience. More thorough rinsing of the grain bed.

Back