Brooklyn brew shop?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopsfan76

Reaction score
Just bought a couple ingredient kits , bevmo had an abundance, and every time I go in there , it just stares at me from the shelf. Guess no one in my town likes to brew or perhaps it's not a popular ingredient kit. It's the bourbon dubbel, I bought 2 and plan on brewing both together to create a total if 2 gallons to ferment in my Lbk. I want to keep my five gallons available for some other recipes I'm doin later this week. Anyway, tomorrow is brew day, any advice, experience of information regarding this kit?

Don't know about the bourbon dubbel, but my first batch brewed was their Everyday IPA - my wife bought me their kit as a gift. Brewed it about five weeks ago, and just opened a few bottles tonight. It's much better than I expected.

My warning, if the bourbon dubbel is similar to the everyday IPA: To set up a lauter tun the way they recommend, you'd need a HUGE mesh sieve. Mine wasn't that big, and I spilled a lot of grains into my wart, which I then fished out with a small strainer. Next time I brew a BBS recipe (my wife got me a few others), I'll have to figure out a better system.

I also quickly decided that one gallon was an awfully small yield for the work, and upgraded to a five gallon setup. Brewed my first five-gallon extract today.

I got started with the Brooklyn kits. The Bourbon Dubbel I brewed turned out great. Knowing what I know now I would use a 5 gallon paint strainer bag just like BIAB. I have since moved on to 5.5 gallon batches it's great introduction to all grain brewing.

I've never done all grain so this is what appealed to me. Typically I've do 5 gal batches but these kits are sold in the one gallon size so that's why I bought two so I can ferment in a mr beer Lbk. Any thoughts on doubling the recipe this way? Sounds like its not a bad kit. Any thoughts on forgoing the bourbon and simply brewing the grains as laid out in the recipe?

I think I may have actually doubled this one since I was brewing this with my brother in-law and we wanted more bottles. I would use the Bourbon soaked oak chips it really adds to the recipe. We dumped all the bourbon and chips in when it was called for. I shared some with friends and they keep asking when I am going to brew it again. I started with these kits and have moved up to bigger batches without doing any extract. All-grain really isn't much harder especially if you look into BIAB. I went from these kits to a cooler mash tun to BIAB and I love the simplicity of using a bag and one pot.

I like the idea if the small batches they sell but I lean towards the thought that the same amount of work for a lot less yield. But the upside is its a lot less risky to experiment.

Never done that particular one but I did do the Everyday IPA and Coffee and Donuts Stout. IPA was ok the stout was pretty great though and it did get me comfy enough to move over to BIAB which I am finishing a brew tonight. Like some have said yeah lotta work for a gallon but one of the better kits to get your feet wet.

I've heard good things about the results of their kits. On strictly an ingredients basis, they're expensive. $15 (website price) for dry yeast, and enough hops and grain for a 1 gallon batch, that's a lot. My last few beers have been $30-35 for a 5 gallon batch with liquid yeast, which is more expensive than dry yeast.

If you like their kits, that's awesome. Again, I've heard good things about them. Certainly a great way to get into brewinga and all-grain brewing in particular; way better than cooper's or mr.beer kits IMO. If you have a LHBS, I'd pay them a visit. I know my LHBS will hook you up with a 1-2 all grain ingredient kit if you ask. Good luck with the brew :mug:

I brewed their Bourbon Dubbel about 3-4 weeks ago. And I did the same thing as you! I bought two bags at Bevmo and made a two gallon batch.

My advice: don't put the oak and bourbon in the boil. Put it in the secondary. That's where mine is now. I've got two gallons of delicious Dubbel racked on top of bourbon and oak.

Tried a sample of my batch. It tastes really good and color/aroma/flavor is great at this point. I bottled, and plan to keep it conditioning for a whiles get before I drink/share them. Only concern is that it tastes a little light in the body. I'm pretty sure it's because I didn't get everything out if the grains that I could have, my first time doing all grain. So other than a lighter body than expected I'm pretty pleased. I went and bought more of this kit the other day. It's on sale at bevmo for 5 dollars. I asked the girl at the counter about the deal and she said in the last several months I am the only one buying these. I guess no one around here homebrews but me, or maybe they have no idea what a good value it is. I have already purchased a total of five gallons worth of ingredients and have successfully made good beer. At 5 dollars a gallon I'm making out like a bandit. If I remember correctly , on BBS website these kits go for around 15 bucks? I don't know if they are trying to clear inventory or what but ill take the deal. I'm normally an ipa guy but I'm not a snob, and for the value I've had several enjoyable hours making brew for pennies.

I don't have a mash tun or any other all grain "fancy" equipment . I'm doing it on the stove top and then using a strainer etc. but I am looking at making a mash tun with an igloo cooler. I'm sure others have done it as well. I think for less than 30 bucks I can make my own as opposed to buying one. Plus I like the "mcgyver " feel of homebrewing with my own gear as opposed to just buying stuff. If I wanted to do that I'd just go out and buy beer. Always looking for new ideas to use personal ingenuity to brew. Equals =savings=fun=satisfaction=pride

I have never h brewed and got a Brooklyn Brew Shop , Everyday IPA kit as a gift. I love craft B, yet not compelled to H brew. could change? My Q is, I am sure that in addition to the bottles I have recieved, this must be a $60.00 gift. So as not to be discouraged, is this good launch point, or totally inflated $? Will I be discouraged by the yield after this endeavor? From the small amount I have read, it looks like larger yields are achieved with less money. Thank You. Brian

Back