Wilting/Stunting in Established Hop Garden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hawthorn

Reaction score
Hello...I have been growing Goldings and Mt Hoods in my garden for 10 years with no problems; vigorous growth, good yields. This year, after the usual explosive spring growth, growth slowed dramatically, and leaves began to develop brown discoloration and become brittle. New growth at the base of the plant is now pale green and spindly, and sidearms are slow to form on the main bines. No sign of major insect problems. I have scoured the internet for information, but the only things that looks similar are downy mildew (which would seem unusual here in hot, dry Colorado...) or verticillium wilt. Any input would be appreciated; see attached photos. Thanks!

photo-13.JPG

photo-14.JPG

photo-15.JPG

That does not look like verticillium wilt, as verticillium would cause the entire plant to start wilting/browing. The leaves don't look like they have Downy Mildew, but the only way to tell for sure is to look for brown/grey fuzzy growth on the underside of the leaves.

Looks to me like some kind of nutrient issue, or toxicity of some kind. Did you make any changes to the growing area in the last year?

Mine looks very similar. I was leaning toward iron deficiency based on reading. Are you finding the center lobe of the leaf to be under developed and wilt first?

I don't want to use ironite because of the lead and arsenic issues (lets not start that "available forms" debate), and I can't find milorgonate around here yet.

Thank you for the replies...I didn't see any fuzzy growth on the underside of the leaves, and the browning didn't start from any area in particular. I haven't made any changes to the growing area; that being said, the area has been supporting a huge production of biomass over the last decade, so perhaps it is not surprising that the ground is becoming depleted of nutrients. I don't add anything back to the soil except a layer of mushroom compost each spring (and monthly fertilizing with an organic fertilizer), so perhaps I need to add some minerals back; I'll give it a try. Cheers!

I think we have similar issues. I used a lot of humus, mixed with sand and peat. I think it's really high nitrogen, but micro nutrient poor. I think it's mostly grass clippings, comes from township free.
I'm going to track down milorganite and "liquid iron" foliar spray. It seems like iron and boron deficiencies are common.

Back