Dandelion Wine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are a couple of reasons to get it off the petals now, and to transfer now. Well, day 3, not right now. Anyway, you don't want to siphon since it'd be a huge PITA to do that. Since it's early in fermentation, you won't oxidize the wort by pouring it now. So, you can pour it into secondary. What I would do is strain though a mesh strainer, or line a colander with a grain bag, to strain out the pulp and petals. I wouldn't even try to use the autosiphon!

Hmmm...I think this would have been a good application for the bucket sized nylon bags that they have at the brewshop. I have a smaller paint strainer bag but no funnel. Maybe I'll pour it through the bag into another vessel then siphon out of there into a carboy....I see an adventure in my future!

A pinch is fine. My nutrient says on the label to use 1/2 to 1 tsp per gallon. I'd use closer to 1/2 teaspoon, unless my yeast was struggling.

Transfered off the petals. Gravity at 1.060. If anyone else is crazy enough to do a 5G batch, do yourself a favor. Ferment it in a bucket, and go buy one of those big nylon bags that fill the bucket. When you pour your cooled must into the bucket to ferment, just pour it right into the bag. Then when it's time to get it off the petals, all you have to do is pull the bag up out of the carboy and give it a good squeeze. There is more than likely a bag that will fit a 1G bucket as well....

But I did give it a taste! Aside from being very sweet still, it has a good citrus flavor, perhaps a bit strong, but I'm sure it will mellow with age. It's a gorgeous color, kind of looks like Orangina if you're familiar with that delicious carbonated orange beverage...which leads me to ask if anyone has ever carbonated any of this?

Hmm....forgot to add the raisins. As I'm sure there's still plenty of yeasties working in there, I'm assuming it's not too late...But I'm wondering if I should do a straight recipe conversion, which would mean 5# of raisins. That's quite a bit...

Hmm....forgot to add the raisins. As I'm sure there's still plenty of yeasties working in there, I'm assuming it's not too late...But I'm wondering if I should do a straight recipe conversion, which would mean 5# of raisins. That's quite a bit...

Well, the raisins are only for body and a bit of flavor. Without the raisins, the wine doesn't have much body or "legs". That might actually be more to your liking, anyway. Or, you could buy a container of "white grape concentrate" from the LHBS and use that instead of raisins for a bit of a boost in body and flavor.

So it's been about a month since the hydrometer stopped moving in secondary. I was late adding the golden raisins, so it kind of slowly started bubbling up again when I added them (which I took as a good sign) I ended up boiling the WELL RINSED golden raisins then straining and putting in the blender with a bit of the hot water to get a loose chop on them. I put as many in as the carboy would hold but I didn't get the full 5# in, maybe 3 or so...but the good news is that I'm starting to think about racking over my
5G batch of Dandelion Wine!

Ok, but the important thing is- how's it taste?!?

Hopefully, it's to the point already where it's bright and fruity and you can see the potential there!

It is bright a fruity, a bit on the tart (acidic) side but I figure that this will age out well and can be adjusted by sweetening slightly if needed....nowhere near anything I would call "clearing" yet though...

Hello everyone. Great info all around in the forum. Been a reader for some time, and decided to finally participate. I made a batch of dandelion wine thats now just over a year in the bottle. The problem is that I've never had dandelion wine before, and can't find anything commercially, so I don't know if it went well. I was hoping someone in the West Michigan area has made some and would be willing to trade a bottle?

Hello everyone. Great info all around in the forum. Been a reader for some time, and decided to finally participate. I made a batch of dandelion wine thats now just over a year in the bottle. The problem is that I've never had dandelion wine before, and can't find anything commercially, so I don't know if it went well. I was hoping someone in the West Michigan area has made some and would be willing to trade a bottle?

How does it taste to you? Ultimately thats what matters unless you're attempting to sell to the masses. If you like it, then it went well :) :mug:

How does it taste to you? Ultimately thats what matters unless you're attempting to sell to the masses. If you like it, then it went well :) :mug:

that would be a lot of work haha My fingers are soar from just making 6 gallons a year.

I let my petals soak for 3 days but I have seen some people only do it for hours, Also I dont boil the petals but boil water and pour it over them and let them sit

my 2010 came out the best so far, my recipe was based on the original posted one.

I used 12 cups of petals per gallon

6 gallons
72 cups petals
10 pounds sugar
6 pounds of raisins
6 teaspoons nutrient
6 oranges (skins, juice and rind) no pith
6 lemons (skins, juice and rind) no pith
6 campden tabs
champagne yeast

Thanks so much for the recipe Yooper, I got enough dandelions for 2.5 gallons by forcing my kids into indentured servitude. They have to work off their food bill somehow. The petals are soaking now. Took me over three hours to cut them all. thanks again for the recipe.

Thanks so much for the recipe Yooper, I got enough dandelions for 2.5 gallons by forcing my kids into indentured servitude. They have to work off their food bill somehow. The petals are soaking now. Took me over three hours to cut them all. thanks again for the recipe.

We still have snow on the ground. It's hard to believe you've processed dandelions!

I'm going to make 5 gallons this year, if the snow ever goes away!

In pa we have weird weather. lots of rain, 50 degrees one day, 80 the next. I would love to do a larger batch, is there any way to do this without removing those stupid green buds?

Another thank you, yooper. I'm brewing up 2.5 gallons of dandelion wine right now. I followed your recipe as much as I could, except I ran out of white sugar after about 100 oz and I'm too lazy to leave the house, so I did the last 15 oz as light brown sugar. I'm hoping it works out fine.

Guion House Brewery is also become Chateau D'Guion as we expect our first vintage will be ready for a Christmas 2011 release.

Thanks again for the wonderful Dandylion wine recipe. I made it a couple of years ago and it ended up being everyone's favorite wine (and most potent, I mioght add). Of course, the two may be related?
I didn't make it last year, because I really was still not sure if it would be any good. It really took about a year and a half to get good!
Any way, please refresh my memory re: the lemons and oranges (I'm making a 5 gallon batch.
Do you add the fruit as well as the peels? or just the peels without the pith?
Also, when I boil, am I boiling the whole 5 gal of water?
Thanks!!!!!

just racked this after what should have been three days of fermentation with the dandelion pulp( it ended up being five days because I was busy tilling and planting outside) and its a beautiful golden color. I added the raisins-which I pulsed in food processor and now its sitting in the bucket again. Can't wait to drink it in 1.5 years. guess I have to make some more.

Thanks again for the wonderful Dandylion wine recipe. I made it a couple of years ago and it ended up being everyone's favorite wine (and most potent, I mioght add). Of course, the two may be related?
I didn't make it last year, because I really was still not sure if it would be any good. It really took about a year and a half to get good!
Any way, please refresh my memory re: the lemons and oranges (I'm making a 5 gallon batch.
Do you add the fruit as well as the peels? or just the peels without the pith?
Also, when I boil, am I boiling the whole 5 gal of water?
Thanks!!!!!

I used the zest, and then just the fruit pulp and juice (not the bitter white pith stuff). I don't boil the whole 5 gallons- just enough to dissolve the sugar for when I add it, if I'm making more than about 3 gallons of wine. My favorite pot holds less than 5 gallons .

Yoop, I suck. I left the wine on the petals and citrus for a week before racking. I thought that's what the recipe said. Any idea what this will do to the finished product?

Yoop, I suck. I left the wine on the petals and citrus for a week before racking. I thought that's what the recipe said. Any idea what this will do to the finished product?

Not really, as I've never done it but you may have some bitterness from doing that. It also might be perfectly fine, so don't worry about it until it ages a bit- aging can smooth out many flavors in wine.

do you treat/sanitize the raisins before dumping them in? (I'm just now boiling the petals/zest...so I have a few days)

Nope! I just try to chop them a bit- which is a huge pain because they are sticky little buggers!

awesome - thanks yooper! just a short 12 months and I'll be good to go! haha

...I'll probably be kicking myself a year from now for only making a gallon batch.

awesome - thanks yooper! just a short 12 months and I'll be good to go! haha

...I'll probably be kicking myself a year from now for only making a gallon batch.

Dandelion wine is fantastic! It's bright and tastes like liquid sunshine. I know that sounds crazy, but once you sample it you'll say, "Oh! That's what she meant by 'liquid sunshine'!"

It's a little fruity, but not exceedingly so. It's good dry as a table wine (I'm a fan of dry wines, both whites and reds) but it makes a very nice sweetened wine as well. I've had it at .990, 1.000, and 1.010, and it's good at all of those! It's not quite as crisp and tart as a sauvignon blanc, but not as fruity as a pinot grigio, and could maybe pass as a good grape wine between those wines. It's unique, and fabulous!

Picked a bunch of dandelions yesterday, but only got half of them picked of petals. And then forgot to put the petals in the freezer. :p They all sat out all night and all day today.

It's really easier and less time consuming to process them right in the field. Pick, grab and twist the yellow, toss the stem and green over your back. They tend to close up once picked and take forever once you get in the house later on. I pick an ice cream bucket 1/2 full of yellow fluff... go in and get them in a zip lock back...squeeze out the air and get it in the freezer. In another hour, I bring the next batch in and do the same. Keep them fresh. They will start to mold real soon if not cooled and stored properly, and you run the risk of ruining the batch. I have 6 gal from last year aging. I'll probably bottle some time this month. I rather enjoyed those early days of sunshine. To make it easier on your back... sit on the ground with your legs in a "V" in front of you. Pick what you can reach around you... then just skooch forward or sideways and pick another patch. When that gets tiring, kneel on one knee and do the same... just don't keep getting up and down, that is hard on my tired, old back. When you get tired of that position, stand up and pick bending over for a while, like picking strawberries. By then, it's time to get them in the house and get a drink of water. By picking and bringing them in the house to destem later, you have to handle the flowers twice, and it takes longer. When you get a rhythm going... you can deflower them in 3 pulls and just toss the stem over your shoulder.

Good Luck!

Debbie

One more question:

I see the recipe says to bottle-age. I am wondering if it would be possible/better to bulk age? I started mine in April and want to have it ready by Christmas. I don't see why I can't keep the wine in my carboy for six more months and then bottle it. But you might know something I don't know.

One more question:

I see the recipe says to bottle-age. I am wondering if it would be possible/better to bulk age? I started mine in April and want to have it ready by Christmas. I don't see why I can't keep the wine in my carboy for six more months and then bottle it. But you might know something I don't know.

Well, I don't bottle it until the wine is completely clear and no longer dropping less after at least 60 days in the carboy. The problem with dandelion wine is that it drops lees for a long, long time. Christmas 2012 is a reasonable goal. THIS year, though, is not.

Bulk aging is always preferable.... as long as you don't need the carboy!! I try to age all my country wines 9-12 months in bulk, then bottle.

Debbie

Got my oldest daughter to pick a few so we could see how tough it was to get the petals. I go back in the house and she is laying in bed watching TV.

I ask how'd it go?

Her: Huh??

Me: The dandelions?

Her: Oh, I thought YOU wanted to do it!

Well, holy hell, girl! I could pick a few flowers in a matter of SECONDS! It's the getting out the petals that the trick!

Well, I was busy sneaking in a brewday/night so I didn't get time to pick some. Then she mowed, so I will either have to find another place to pick, or wait until the grow back, which should be sometime... tomorrow...

Working on the batch of liquid sunshine! Tonight, I do the boil after the 2 days of flowers in the primary. So, let me get this right, I do not strain this mixture yet, but boil it all up, adding the sugar and citrus. I do not add the raisins yet. In 3 days, I strain the mixture into a carboy and then add the raisins. Then I leave it to ferment completely on the raisins and rack it off when completely fermented.
Do I seem to have that right?
I have a 5 gallon batch. Do you think 3 lbs of raisins will be adequate or should I buy more?
Thanks Yooper. Did dandelion season ever arrive yet in the U.P?

Working on the batch of liquid sunshine! Tonight, I do the boil after the 2 days of flowers in the primary. So, let me get this right, I do not strain this mixture yet, but boil it all up, adding the sugar and citrus. I do not add the raisins yet. In 3 days, I strain the mixture into a carboy and then add the raisins. Then I leave it to ferment completely on the raisins and rack it off when completely fermented.
Do I seem to have that right?
I have a 5 gallon batch. Do you think 3 lbs of raisins will be adequate or should I buy more?
Thanks Yooper. Did dandelion season ever arrive yet in the U.P?

Yes, boil it all. Then, strain by pouring into the carboy through a strainer or cheesecloth lined funnel (sanitized). The raisins provide body, so 3 pounds of raisins will provide body and flavor but not as much as 5 pounds. I'll tell you- those golden raisins are expensive! So, I'd probably be satisfied with three pounds myself unless I got a heckuva deal!

The dandelions are quite alive and well here in the UP, but I've been working full time (a temporary situation!) and haven't picked even one!

Yooper I'm alittle worried about this I've got about a gallon of dandelion going right now in a 3 gallon carboy it's been in there for about a month i'm planning on transferring it to a one gallon tonight, have i ruined this batch already with all of the extra head space?

thanks

when i made this i placed the flowers in a staining bag and boiled them it was a unreal smell in the house the wine turned out great

Just picked a whole yard-full and ended up with few good quarts. I can't wait to taste this one next year! Thanks for the recipe, Yoop.

Looks like you will have to come south and pick. There are tons already around here. I want to try this so I'm going on the look-out.

Back