crawl space bottle storage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tnbrewer371

Reaction score
to make SWMBO happy and keep her on board with the brewery, a constant struggle as you all im sure know, i have been thinking about storing homebrew that has already bottle conditioned/carbed in my crawlspace. im not sure what the average montly temperature is down there but im pretty sure it never gets below freezing and probably doesnt get above room temp in the house (68-72) during the summer time. anyone have any thoughts on this? as the search function did not supply satisfactory results...

I have been thinking it will be fine to assuming the bottles are fully carbed and assuming
it doesn't really get above 75 or below 32 right?

I'd be careful during the hottest months of summer and the coldest months of winter. I know my basement/garage gets up to 85* easily during the summer (no climate control whatsoever), sometimes warmer. I also know that the floor of my basement can drop to 35ish when it got really cold for a few straight days this winter.

I'm going to start taking weekly temps and recording them, however I am assuming my crawlspace under my house won't drop below freezing and won't get much warmer than my house or 75 in the summer despite the heat waves we get in middle tn in the summer

I think its an awesome way to forget about bottles you've long conditioned. I just started pushing bottles all the way to the back of the highest shelf in my brew closet to force myself to long-term age some beers.

yah im gonna monitor the temp in the summer and in the winter very closely, i think mostly from june-mid sept, and jan and feb are really only the months im truly concerned about, but yah mostly planning to use it to age my russian imperial stout, barleywine, and other big beers, im thinking maybe plastic storage bins, and maybe line them with some insulation if the temp ever becomes concerning. i think this will definately keep swmbo happier about the whole "home brewery thing...."

Back