Siphon Hose quality

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdwj

Reaction score
For C02 and serving lines, I know I have to use properly graded tubing, but how about siphon tubes? Is the cheap tubing available at the hardware store sufficient?

I try and stick with food grade plastic tubing. I tried to cheap clear tubing from the hardware store and it didn't hold up well. After a couple of uses, it got cloudy on the inside. I got my first and only infected batch about the same time, so I began to question if that cloudiness was from the acidity of wort and/or my hard water when I soaked them to get them clean. I eventually tossed them.

I have used some green tubing that was used for household hot and cold water. My buddy Chris gave it to me, as he had extra leftover when he got a new water softener. It holds up better and I occasionally use it for bottling.

Rhoobarb said:
I try and stick with food grade plastic tubing. I tried to cheap clear tubing from the hardware store and it didn't hold up well. After a couple of uses, it got cloudy on the inside. I got my first and only infected batch about the same time, so I began to question if that cloudiness was from the acidity of wort and/or my hard water when I soaked them to get them clean. I eventually tossed them.

I have used some green tubing that was used for household hot and cold water. My buddy Chris gave it to me, as he had extra leftover when he got a new water softener. It holds up better and I occasionally use it for bottling.

Outside of the HBS's, where would I be able to find food grade tubing? I have a wine that I'm going to need to bottle soon and I accidentally bought a 1/2" bottle filler.

I guess I could try to heat up the tubing I have and make it fit, but I'd rather have the right stuff and I don't really want to make a special trip for it.

Back