Cask conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

armstrong529

Reaction score
Hi,
I have just finished a all grain brew. I am planning to put it in a 5 gal pin and serve with a beer engine. I have fermented and barrelled my brew, my question is what is the correct conditioning process for barrelled beer? I have looked at lots of different threads and they differ quite a lot. So it would be good to get a comprehensive answer.
Here's what I have done so far,
While barreling I added priming sugar and fining and left it at 19c for 2 days. I have now moved it to my coldest room which is about 11c - 13c. I plan to serve the beer next weekend. How do thing sound so far? I am on the right track.
Help would be much appreciated.

Grant

I wasn't sure whether to leave the cask in a warm place 19•c. The reason I have put in a cold place is because I read a thread saying that if it is left in the warm and not vented, it could blow out the keystone or shive.

Grant

Two days is not enough time for the yeast to consume the sugars to carbonate the cask. As long as you have dosed the PIN with the correct amount of sugar (roughly 75 gms for a pin) you should not have any problems with overpressure.

Depending on what yeast you used, 11-13 C may be low enough for the yeast to go dormant and not consume the sugars.

Let it sit at 19C for the rest of the week. Lower the temp to 11C the day before serving.

Hi Wayne,

Thanks a lot for the advice. I have now moved it back into the warm. I really appreciate it. Can't wait to try my first barrelled beer.

Thanks Grant

Grant

Usually English beers would be racked to the cask a few points above final gravity, and then conditioned at cellar temperatures - around 55-65F. Obviously this needs you to know the final gravity in advance, but you can prime to add a couple of points of gravity worth of fermentables back if you let fermentation complete. Conditioning it much warmer than this will result in too low a carbonation (19C is probably too warm), as the cask shouldn't be holding enough pressure to achieve the same CO2 volume at that temperature (if your pin does hold pressure, then you can condition warmer). As long as you didn't cold crash or leave it a long time after fermentation completed before racking to the cask, then the yeast should be able to condition the beer at cellar temps. Just above 60F should be fine with most English yeasts, particularly WLP002/1968 which ferments quite happily at 62-66F.

See the latter part of this article

Back