How long is too long?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

|-|edghog

Reaction score
I am brewing an IPA with the using the following amounts of malt:

7.5lbs LME
1lb Crystal Malt
0.5lb of Toasted Malt

Fermentation has started week 4 and has slowed to a trickle but the beer has not cleared at all yet...when should I start worrying?

I have never had a beer go for more than 2 weeks before.

Hedghog

Check the gravity. If it is done then you can use finings or rack to a secondary and condition for 4-6weeks. Time will clear any beer...

GT

I'm confused...fermentation didn't start until week 4? It started normally but is still going at week 4??

What was the OG?

what is the current gravity? if you don't know, then you don't know whether its still fermenting or not.

The airlock...it means nothing!

Sorry for making it sound confusing but, fermentation has been going on normally for 3 weeks and is starting week 4 today.

I did not take an OG reading.

I know it's not the most reliable indicator but the airlock is popping about every minute or so.

I took a good look at it today and it looks like it just may be starting to darken ie. starting to clear.

If it does not start clearing in the next couple of days, I will definitely start taking readings to see if it's done.

Hedghog

sorry but this thread is useless without a hydrometer reading. its the ONLY way to know your beer has finished fermenting.

lots of things can make an airlock bubble after fermentation has ceased. room temp changes. a semi driving by outside. a subwoofer thumping.

GET A HYDROMETER.

I agree with Malkore, but since you didn't take an og reading there are a couple of things that I would suggest. First, find out what your og reading "should" have been, and use that as an estimate, then take a reading now, and tomorrow and the next day. If the gravity looks around where it should be, and the numbers haven't changed for any of those readings then you are probably good. But I would also taste the beer as well. Does it taste like it's finished, or does it still seem like it's a little on the sweet side, and needs to ferment out further? If it's sweet give it another week then repeat the hydrometer/taste tests. I think that's about your best bet for now.

Got Trub? said:
Check the gravity. If it is done then you can use finings or rack to a secondary and condition for 4-6weeks. Time will clear any beer...

GT

A secondary will clear it eventually if aesthetics are that important. +1 on the gravity check.

:off: "Time will clear any beer"
I bought six Orvals at the NSLC when the dirty Philistine bastards were clearing out their stock to stop carrying it (it's now unavailable in Nova Scotia). This was in around October. They've been sitting stationary in my ~60˚ beer closet since then. When I cracked the fourth about a month ago, and poured it carefully, it poured absolutely crystal-clear and orange-amber. I have never before seen nor heard of a crystalline Orval like this. It was delicious, too, but I missed a little bit of that deliciously sharp brett foulness, so the next time, I mixed it up a little a couple days before and it poured a perfect Orval cloudy orange. I'm'na save the last one until I have a new source. I couldn't imagine a world where I can't get my Orval fix. Well, I could imagine it, but I don't like too.

Back