Label and logo feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sloppy Sam

Reaction score
What do you guys think?

sambraulogo.jpg

sambrauIIPA.jpg

sambrauapfel.jpg

Constructive criticism welcome.

Thanks for looking.

Thanks Rich.

I just didn't know. I sat there playing around with them for a while and just wanted some opinions. Some of the labels here are just amazing. So I thought I would try to be somewhat amazing.

Thanks for the input.

PseudoChef said:
Looks great, but apfelwein isn't brewed according to the reinheitsgebot, I don't think.

that is what I was going to say. there is absolutely nothing reinheitsgebot about apfelwien!

krispy d said:
that is what I was going to say. there is absolutely nothing reinheitsgebot about apfelwien!

Hmm, I guess not. I'll Take it off. You know Edwort has it on his label as well. I went and checked after the question was raised. However the Reinheitsgebot only applies to beer does it not?

Well that part is coming off. Funny enough. I actually went and read the text of the Reinheitsgebot. So I think I will just take that off my labels. It is just marketing fluff anyways.

orfy said:
They look great but I can't figure the German text with an American Image.

I agree. It seems like a confused theme, with Uncle Sam and the German text. I think you should either stick with an American theme, or consider a German icon for the mascot.

Maybe Hammered Hitler? Alcoholic Adolf? :drunk:

The labels look great, though!

Mike B said:
I agree. It seems like a confused theme, with Uncle Sam and the German text. I think you should either stick with an American theme, or consider a German icon for the mascot.

Maybe Hammered Hitler? Alcoholic Adolf? :drunk:

The labels look great, though!

Ha ha That made me laugh.

Well I guess what I was shooting for is my nickname is Sloppysam, I am of German Decent but of course born in the US. So I was trying to encompass both of the nationalities. However having to explain that everytime I hand out a bottle is not good either.

Thanks for the feedback and I will probably change the labels to take the German text off.

Hammered Hitler. I am going to have to name a batch of marzen that.

That's better.

Being Hyper-critical the tails on the S and the B and uncle Sam leaning make my eye see it is off kilter.
It isn't and you probably wouldn't see it on the bottle.

Because I am a designer I feel like I can contribute to this post with more confidence then the actual beer posts so here we go...

While you are using a German Black letter, counter culture has pulled this font away from being purely German in nature.

Think heavy metal bands, skating companys, surfing, things on the edge. So I think if you grunged the look up some it would maybe fit both your brewery name and have a reference to your heritage. Not sure if that fits your personality, but there's a rationalization for what your doing.

graphicgeek80 said:
Because I am a designer I feel like I can contribute to this post with more confidence then the actual beer posts so here we go...

While you are using a German Black letter, counter culture has pulled this font away from being purely German in nature.

Think heavy metal bands, skating companys, surfing, things on the edge. So I think if you grunged the look up some it would maybe fit both your brewery name and have a reference to your heritage. Not sure if that fits your personality, but there's a rationalization for what your doing.

Interesting point. Are you saying to fatigue the label a bit?

Orfy, thanks for the comments as well. I will look into that as well.

orfy said:
They look great but I can't figure the German text with an American Image.
Just remember Orfy, our national language was almost German. It was decided by one vote, and thats history. English is also a germanic language, it only fits.

Cliff has left the building! LOL. S.

I would make the yellow ring a litter skinnier and the picture a little bigger.
EDIT: or at least the picture of Uncie Sam a little bigger.

Vorsicht709 said:
Why would America vote for german to be their national language??
Because at the time, there were a lot of German American families in the colonies. If I remember history, there were two german imigrations, one very early in the the Grand experiment and one dureing the 1900's. The vote for a national language actualy came about to standize buisness relations between the states and the communities in those states. Language as a barrier to trade wasn't good for buisness and so a national language was was voted on. At the time there was still a lot of anti-english setiment as well, and a lot of patroits spoke both languages, In my opinion, if I were alive at the time, being a vet. myself, there was quit an argument for a different language. But hey, like I said, its history.

I like the look of it a lot.
It seems a little unnecessary to have the IBU's listed on the Apfelwein label

Because at the time, there were a lot of German American families in the colonies. If I remember history, there were two german imigrations, one very early in the the Grand experiment and one dureing the 1900's....

I understand there were alot of german settlers but i am highly skeptical that the entire country would vote on whether or not everyone would have to speak a foreign language. Do you have any sources that back this up?

Vorsicht709 said:
I understand there were alot of german settlers but i am highly skeptical that the entire country would vote on whether or not everyone would have to speak a foreign language. Do you have any sources that back this up?
Certainly, you must understand that when this vote went public, we were a newly formed country. There weren't any rules governing a lot of things. It should also be noted that German as a language was not considered foreign at the time. Most people spoke old english, which is a german hybrid, and modern english was derived from it. Try reading some early American text that hasn't been translated. It was written in old english. Give me a bit here and I will post a couple of reff's for ya.

Well, Vorsicht709, I am WRONG, it would seem that the library of Congress has only a recent vote on record. It also states and references a urban legend about a german, english vote. As it turns out though there has never been an official language in the US as the congress at the time thought it was not the governments place to decide. There was however a petition to translate all of our laws to german. It was decided by one vote. If you would like to know more? Here is a link to a well written essay on the subject including references.www.watzmann.net/scg/german-by-one-vote.html

Back