Fruit Beer Wild Strawberry Blonde

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a winner for the non-beer drinkin swmbo. Could I use white wheat malt instead of german, or is that the same thing?

Looks like a winner for the non-beer drinkin swmbo. Could I use white wheat malt instead of german, or is that the same thing?

Lol.. I just messaged the OP a couple of hours ago and asked the exact same thing! Basically, he said "go for it"! I did do some research before I asked, and it appeared that the white wheat would work.. but, I'm still pretty new in the all grain world, so take that lightly!

Like I told Blueline "I don't see why not" I honestly can't remember why I chose German wheat for the recipe. It was probably because my lhbs was out of white wheat! ha I can't imagine that it would make a huge difference. All you're really trying to do is make a very light, blonde ale for a base. the white wheat should work just fine.

Lol.. I just messaged the OP a couple of hours ago and asked the exact same thing! Basically, he said "go for it"! I did do some research before I asked, and it appeared that the white wheat would work.. but, I'm still pretty new in the all grain world, so take that lightly!

Like I told Blueline "I don't see why not" I honestly can't remember why I chose German wheat for the recipe. It was probably because my lhbs was out of white wheat! ha I can't imagine that it would make a huge difference. All you're really trying to do is make a very light, blonde ale for a base. the white wheat should work just fine.

Alright thanks fellas, just waiting for my grain mill to show up and this will be next in the bucket, Cheers!

Good luck! Let us know how it turns out! I hope to brew this one soon as well... Currently waiting on my stc-1000 to get here!

Where do you get frozen strawberries cheap? Got enough stuff for 10 gallons. But man I never realized the high strawberry price.

idrinkstuffnthings said:
Where do you get frozen strawberries cheap? Got enough stuff for 10 gallons. But man I never realized the high strawberry price.

I just buy mine at the grocery store. Wal Mart's probably cheapest. I hate wal mart.

fumanbrew said:

While brewing this yesterday, i looked back at some of the notes from previous brews. The og that the recipe is built on is around 1.044. There are times i have hit 1.051 but usually around 1.048. Yesterday i was 1.044. It was a perfect brew day all around though.

idrinkstuffnthings said:
Never mind I googled. Looks like the fruit addition has very little to do with abv.

Thats i how i understand it too. I dont usually even take a gravity reading after i rack onto the berries. I figure 2 weeks in primary, it's done.

Hey I noticed the 60 minute boil time. You ever find you get the cream corn flavor with all that pilsner malt at 60 mins?

Just got done putting this beer un primary, and just ordered my kegging system. This will be one of my first on draft.

I could be way off the mark with this question but here goes.

I brewed this batch a few weeks ago. Last night I racked my beer onto my frozen strawberries. Before I did, I took a gravity reading. It came in at 3%. I don't know how I ended up with such a low reading but here is what my friend and I were thinking of doing.

Since strawberries have sugar in them, what would happen if we added yeast after we racked into the new fermenter? Would that get the alcohol level back up or am I way off here. Only been brewing for about 4 months now so take it easy on me.

Thanks

I honestly cant answer that question. I can offer some assistance if you tell your og and fg though. Keep in mind that this is a session beer and the abv should not be very high. 3% is too low but it will typically be under 5%.

From what I understand, the fruit addition will have a very minimal effect on ABV. 3% huh? Guess you'll just have to drink twice as much! :)

I could be way off the mark with this question but here goes.

I brewed this batch a few weeks ago. Last night I racked my beer onto my frozen strawberries. Before I did, I took a gravity reading. It came in at 3%. I don't know how I ended up with such a low reading but here is what my friend and I were thinking of doing.

Since strawberries have sugar in them, what would happen if we added yeast after we racked into the new fermenter? Would that get the alcohol level back up or am I way off here. Only been brewing for about 4 months now so take it easy on me.

Thanks

You won't have to add yeast. There is still plenty of yeast left in suspension to eat those sugars up. But it will not greatly affect your abv.
What were your og and fg?

I thought you were brewing this a couple of weeks ago! Ha i racked mine onto strawberries saturday. This weekend i will rack it into the keg and condition it for a week before carbing it.

I thought you were brewing this a couple of weeks ago! Ha i racked mine onto strawberries saturday. This weekend i will rack it into the keg and condition it for a week before carbing it.

Nah, I brewed Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale.. its currently crashing in da fridge... But this will be brewed this weekend! (Assuming AHS is in as much of a hurry as I am to get my supplies... Not holding my breath..)
Ummm... Pretty sure you're obligated to send me a 6er so I can see how this compares to my extract version... :)

Bluelinebrewer said:
Nah, I brewed Ed Worts Haus Pale Ale.. its currently crashing in da fridge... But this will be brewed this weekend! (Assuming AHS is in as much of a hurry as I am to get my supplies... Not holding my breath..)
Ummm... Pretty sure you're obligated to send me a 6er so I can see how this compares to my extract version... :)

Pm me your info. I would love to send you some. I do swaps with guys all the time.

Wild, have you ever tried a different fruit? I've got the ingredients for 11 gallons, I was thinking I might do 5g strawberry, 5g raspberry. Any thoughts?

Do it!! Wild and I were talking about this tonight! I was thinking about a strawberry/kiwi or an apple.

Strawberry Kiwi, I like that! Anyways ya I think i might try the raz. Cant brew till I'm back from vacation but ill let ya know in a monthish how it turns out.

Yeah, just not sure how to go about sanitizing the kiwis... Guess I could chop them up, then throw em in the freezer.. any thoughts?

Latest posts

Back