Are hops deer resistant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

H22W

Reaction score
We are infested with deer in this area and they destroy any plants which interest them. I am planning a hop garden and was wondering how well I need to protect it from deer?

I to have deer that destroy anything that look half way edible. I don't know how much area you need to protect, but in the passed I have found a cheap low tech way of deer proofing an area. Deer are afraid of thing they can feel, but not see. So I used 5 pound fishing line, some 4-5ft tall half way sturdy trees from the wood next to my house, and a small 6-8in piece of 2in pvc pipe.

Tied the fishing line to the poles around the desired area, about 1 foot apart So 4-5 lines per side. Drive the pvc into the ground were you want the door, remove it with dirt in the middle knock the dirt out and drive it into the ground again, this is so you can remove on pole to get in and out easily.:)

We have a resident herd of around 16 head that cycles through the property every 4 days or so. They'll totally clean out things that really attract them, but I've had 15 plants that they've yet to show any interest in over two years now. Might be too many other things to keep them occupied, I don't know...

Cheers!

I think you're good to go. If you haven't done this after harvest yet, snap a bine and squeeze out the liquid. Then put it on your tongue....instant cotton mouth:) No wonder I have to keep drinking after having an IPA.

I thought Hops were undesireable to deer, last night they picked one of my vines clean!!! Literally it's just a vine now, barren and sad😒. Luckily none of my other hops vines were attacked.

I thought Hops were undesireable to deer, last night they picked one of my vines clean!!! Literally it's just a vine now, barren and sad😒. Luckily none of my other hops vines were attacked.

Either there is absolutely NOTHING else for them to eat or they have something else wrong with them. Chronic Wasting Disease? This time of the year, I have seen deer sidestepping to avoid touching the plants.

Sometimes the young dumb ones will try them out. The problem usually works itself out. If not, I've used capsaicin spray with success.

Had something strip a 3 foot or so section of a few of the 8 first year plants my dad planted this year bare (starting a foot off the ground up to about 4 feet off the ground) of leaves early in the season. Does not seem to have affected the plants much and whatever it is decided not to repeat its vandalization.

Back