Wet shaving thread.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yea im loooing for more style to use. Im hitting up antique stores looking for the right one.

That's what I use! Lol!

I just bought one of the Walmart Faux-esta soup mugs, too (Cobalt Blue). $2.24 in my neck of the woods. I melted and poured the remainder of a puck of L'Occitane Cade into the bottom. After breaking loose once on the first shave, the soap has successfully melded to the bottom of the bowl. Now I just fill up with hot water and let my brush soak while I shower.

For a mug I went to ebay and bid until I got one of those "cuddle" (someone correct me please) mugs. Best thing ever... you fill it with hot water which sits below a shallow "dish" that has holes in it for the steam to rise through.. perfect warm lather every time. If you're patient you can get one for a few bucks. If not, maybe 10 or 15. Pair it up with a cheap Walgreens or CVS brush and you've got a bargain lather set.

mannye said:
For a mug I went to ebay and bid until I got one of those "cuddle" (someone correct me please) mugs. Best thing ever... you fill it with hot water which sits below a shallow "dish" that has holes in it for the steam to rise through.. perfect warm lather every time. If you're patient you can get one for a few bucks. If not, maybe 10 or 15. Pair it up with a cheap Walgreens or CVS brush and you've got a bargain lather set.

I think it's "scuttle" but I could be just as wrong.

You mean "scuttle"

I just did a Google search on scuttle and those things look cool. I might need to go pick one up now.

Close shave? Hell, Id'e be happy with any razor that my woman will keep her hands off of.

I know when she gets a hold of it to shave her legs because as I pull the razor across my face, I can feel each individual hair being uprooted!

Wow just did my first attempt at a wet shave (had to use my old Fusion my new razr hadnt arrived yet) used a little TOBS Mr taylors cream whipped it all up and my god best shave ive ever had top it off with a little Real Shaving aftershave cream and my face feels BBS cant wait to actually move into using the DE when it gets here. I cant believe ive shaved any other way.

Wow just did my first attempt at a wet shave (had to use my old Fusion my new razr hadnt arrived yet) used a little TOBS Mr taylors cream whipped it all up and my god best shave ive ever had top it off with a little Real Shaving aftershave cream and my face feels BBS cant wait to actually move into using the DE when it gets here. I cant believe ive shaved any other way.

Did you fill your bowl with HOT water and soak the brush in it before building your lather? The hot lather is one of my favorite parts of wet shaving. Just like the hot shaving cream the ladies put on your scalp before shaving however much of your head for the weekly haircut.

Oh yes. I soaked the mug and brush in hot water while I showered. Man it feels so good hah

[I thought I would give an update. I have been using my EJ DE 89 for a few months now and I love it. It took some greeting used to but now I would never go back. I even managed to turn some friends onto DE razors. The SWMBO rolls her eyes when she sees me scrolling through razors I want to buy.

Care to share your soap "recipe".

Aside from the cost of the tools ($70 for the Futur, $55 for the HD, $30 for the 60R) I am really loving the savings over the ME cartridge systems. Last time I bought refills it was a whopping $35+Tax for 10 cartridges. :eek: And that was at WalMart! One cartridge would get me two shaves, at best, of my face and head. No more!

I will keep using the Mach 3 for my head until I am more comfortable with the DE. But at $0.95 for a pack of 10 "Best Value" blades up to $8.00 for a pack of 10 Feather blades the savings is still pretty high.

For Feather, I find the best price on Amazon. I think I got a pack of 15 (three of the little platic boxes) for 6 dollars. Once unwrapped, I keep them in a shot glass full of vodka (you can use isopropyl if you don't want to be cool like me.:mug:) and they last forever.

I use both a Merkur DE with Feather blades and several straights. I prefer the straight but a DE is great when I have to get out the door quick. A straight shave is at least a 15 minute process but I average about 20. Straights are not only the best shave, but also like a meditation because you have to really "be in the moment" to avoid hacking off an ear.

I guess you could save money with a DE, but when you're done buying the mugs, soaps, etc it's almost a wash... maybe if you stick with one handle only and don't get addicted to the paraphanalia...

I got a 100 Feathers from a vendor on Amazon from Thailand for less than $30 shipped. At 30 cents/blade and about 5 shaves per, that's a deal for me.

I have the itch to try a straight, but I don't think I want to deal with stropping and honing...but maybe that's just because of my inexperience working a blade on a stone, let alone a blade that needs to be sharp enough to efficiently and safely remove hair from my face and neck.

I have three DE razors and all of them are vintage Gillettes and didn't pay much for them. I'd like to try a new razor, but I'll put it on a wish list as I'm not going to spend $70+ on a razor for myself, unless it's a straight, which again, seems like a lot for something I'm not sure I want to deal with.

Buy a cheap strop and learn on it until you stop gouging out little triangles of leather, then get a good one. It takes about a week or so of practice to get it down...

So true. I nicked mine twice... Gotten much better since. Now I just need the time to commit to a straight shave.8 minutes for a three pass DE shave or 20+ for a straight shave with stropping etc.

Not enough time in the day.

Close shave? Hell, Id'e be happy with any razor that my woman will keep her hands off of.

I know when she gets a hold of it to shave her legs because as I pull the razor across my face, I can feel each individual hair being uprooted!

Switch to a straight razor. That might slow her down.

With Storms in the mid-west and it being ground from SoCal I'm not really surprised. Kind of surprised but I went with Fedex shipping over USPS to save six bucks shipping.

I'm jumping on the bandwagon I suppose. I've never shaved with a DE or straight so I'm excited to experience the change. I just pulled on a Dreadnought from shavenation.com. If I like the DE I might go after one of the TI Spartacus straights down the road. Also got a couple proraso products since i love mentholated shampoos/shaving creams. I'll post some feedback after everything gets in.:tank:

I'm jumping on the bandwagon I suppose. I've never shaved with a DE or straight so I'm excited to experience the change. I just pulled on a Dreadnought from shavenation.com. If I like the DE I might go after one of the TI Spartacus straights down the road. Also got a couple proraso products since i love mentholated shampoos/shaving creams. I'll post some feedback after everything gets in.:tank:

REmember that the key with a DE is a light touch. If you're used to the Mach 3,4,7..you are used to putting a lot of pressure down when you shave. A DE needs almost no pressure to do the job right. What takes a little fiddling is the angle you need to get the best shave..it takes no more than a week or two before you're a DE expert...:mug:

I shaved at night after working 18 sweaty, humid hours. That shave hurt! It could have been a dull Shark Chrome blade along with the Eton College. I'll find out today. I'll try it again but with a fresh blade and before work.

No pics to post yet, but doing some research to make a clone of a ever ready 200 in black and green. There are tons of black and butterscotches out there, but the black and greens are kinda hard to come by. I had scored one off of greedbay a while back, but I got buyers remorse and sold it to a gentleman on B&B. So, I make my own... TGN has restocked the green poly pearl rods, and I have sourced a block of black paper micarta for what would be the black rubber part. It cuts and polishes to a glossy matte finish that looks like the rubber. I need to ask somebody over in the resto subforum to get out the calipers and take a bunch of measurements for me. It won't be exact, but I want it to look like the 200 at a glance. But... I do have some pics of a brush I made with black and white ebony. When this super slow DSL connection decides to work (I'm in a hotel right now).

Here it is. The knot is a 22mm TGN regular silvertip. I got rid of it cause I did not set the knot deep enough and when using, all it did was flail all over the place when you touched your face with it.

B&W ebonybrush.jpg

Love this thread but visit it so seldom. :(

Anyway, all great advice. The biggest differences to me were:
1) Getting the angle right (it feels totally wrong at first but you can tell pretty quick when you've got it right... big improvement)
2) Getting the grip right (finger tips and a light touch, if the blade is sharp it is all you will ever need)

Also, for keeping them sharp... a good strop, both before and after, makes a big difference. As long as you treat a blade right you really don't need to hone it that often. I started off having others hone for me but after buying a couple old blades from an antique store I ended up buying stones and doing it myself. The stones I bought are overkill for just keeping your straights sharp but with the set you can sharpen everything from chisels to straights so I use them all over. The difference is huge in the kitchen too if you have decent knives. Erm, and my pocket knives and the axe and machete in the garage and the... well you get the idea, lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost used to the beard and mustache again. Still shaving the neck. I want to shave it all but I really want some mustache curls!

Hey fellas. I haven't posted in this thread before but I'm a wet shaver. Not exactly a veteran, but 2+ years every day (military). I splurged on this fella earlier this week after indulging in a few homebrews and just swiped my weekend beard off with it. Hot damn, I've owned a few straights but nothing has compared to this. I'm a DE user (R41 Grande with Feather is my daily) and this baby is just as easy to use as a DE and much sharper than any straight I've seen, with no upkeep. The handle is dense rubber and fit and finish are perfect as you would expect from the Japanese; The balance is so good and the handle can be held anywhere. Much more forgiving than a traditional straight, I shaved in the same amount of time that I normally would with a DE my first time using it. Highly recommended.

artistclubssblackstraight.jpg

Hey fellas. I haven't posted in this thread before but I'm a wet shaver. Not exactly a veteran, but 2+ years every day (military). I splurged on this fella earlier this week after indulging in a few homebrews and just swiped my weekend beard off with it. Hot damn, I've owned a few straights but nothing has compared to this. I'm a DE user (R41 Grande with Feather is my daily) and this baby is just as easy to use as a DE and much sharper than any straight I've seen, with no upkeep. The handle is dense rubber and fit and finish are perfect as you would expect from the Japanese; The balance is so good and the handle can be held anywhere. Much more forgiving than a traditional straight, I shaved in the same amount of time that I normally would with a DE my first time using it. Highly recommended.

artistclubssblackstraight.jpg

Gorgeous. That's a Feather straight right? Where did you get it?

Back