post fermetation fix for chlorinated water?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_trout

Reaction score
so I moved recently and my tap water is no longer usable for brewing due to chlorine. I know I can fix this on the future by buying chlorine free water or dechlorinating my tap water. My question is is there anything I can do with my already brewed beer that will help alleviate the astringent/medicinal flavor I now have in my otherwise tasty IPA?

so I moved recently and my tap water is no longer usable for brewing due to chlorine. I know I can fix this on the future by buying chlorine free water or dechlorinating my tap water. My question is is there anything I can do with my already brewed beer that will help alleviate the astringent/medicinal flavor I now have in my otherwise tasty IPA?

no, unfortunately. It's "chlorophenols", from the phenols created from interaction with the chlorine/chloramine in the water.

How would you describe the flavor that you are experiencing? Is it strong or subtle? Is it at the beginning, middle, or aftertaste of the beer?

The reason I ask is because I have a subtle bandaid taste as an aftertaste in a Hefeweisen that I just bottled. I used regular tap water, and I'm wondering if this taste could be attributable to the chlorine in the water.

This is my very first brew, so it's possible that the taste is normal and will disappear after a couple of weeks in the bottle, but I'm just doing a little research.

Many Thanks.

Bob- Its definitely not subtle but falls just short of strong. I would say it is distinct but not overpowering. My hop and malt flavors definitely come thru but the medicinal taste is clearly present from the late middle thru the aftertaste. I wouldnt call it bandaid its closer to what I think is a fusal alcohol or astringent. The beer also has a hot alcohol burn that I would call subtle. Its somewhat reminiscent of nail polish remover but not nearly as powerful. Sorry for the poor descriptors, Im still trying to refine my pallet.

How would you describe the flavor that you are experiencing? Is it strong or subtle? Is it at the beginning, middle, or aftertaste of the beer?

The reason I ask is because I have a subtle bandaid taste as an aftertaste in a Hefeweisen that I just bottled. I used regular tap water, and I'm wondering if this taste could be attributable to the chlorine in the water.

This is my very first brew, so it's possible that the taste is normal and will disappear after a couple of weeks in the bottle, but I'm just doing a little research.

Many Thanks.

Probably because of chlorine in the water. Check out this page for more info regarding the common taste faults:

http://www.howtobrew.com/section4/chapter21-2.html

Back