My first smoked turkey

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hernando

Reaction score
I have been itching to do a smoked turkey for quite some time now. I brined it overnight in a salt water solution and gave it a good rub down with olive oil and some homemade rub. Threw it in the smoker @270F and spritzed it with spicy V8, red rye P.A. Came out pretty good, not enough smoke for me but the family loved it. Definitely needed more time brining. I usually go 24 hours on the brine but was cut short on time.

image-1864204660.jpg

Looks tasty, Ive smoked many a turkeys, but I never do a rub, the skin always gets tough and chewey, so its not really edible any ways!

I did throw a little rub on the skin but the majority went underneath it. But yes, the skin was a bit tough.

Hi

Toss in in a *hot* oven for a bit after you are done smoking it. The skin will crisp right up. If you do it right, the bird will not over cook. I have no idea how long, since I just keep looking at it (it's minutes not hours though). Pretty easy to tell when it's browning up.

Bob

In my experience, the brine makes the skin rubbery. I know lots of people swear by brining, but I have had great luck with dry rub and apple juice. I wash and thoroughly dry the turkey before applying a homemade rub. I pat the dry rub on as thick as possible. Stick to small turkeys - about 12 pound - and smoke at 220 - 250 F for about 5 to 6 hours until done. After the first 45 minutes or so, spritz the bird with apple juice from a spray bottle. No rubbery skin and the meat comes out extremely moist with a beautiful red smoke ring.

I'll have to give either of these a try. I love to smoke so experimenting isn't an issue at all. I forsee a smoke/brew day coming up this weekend. I do appreciate the feedback. Cheers!

I love smoking turkeys for holidays. I took a lesson from the cajun bbq'd shrimp bit & mixed my rub with some country crock. I then put that under the skin. Man,talk about buttery,spicy smoke flavor.
Another thing that worked real well was mixing my rub with some ale,like english bitter. then injecting it into the bird. That's another one that works real well.

Back