Dogfish Head Black & Blue Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

psychorydas

Reaction score
Hey Brew Heads, anyone out there have a Dogfish head black & blue recipe..I'd like to make in in the next few days, but not sure what grains and stuff to go with. If anyone has one or can steer me in the direction let me know please!!!???\
Thanks
psychorydas is online now Report Post

Dont have a recipe, but if you look at dogfish heads website on this beer you can get some solid info. Might have to do some google searching to find the yeast strain, but I would assume it is a belgian yeast strain. I would try to find a solid Belgian Golden Strong ale recipe and plug it into brewing software, then adjust the gravity with the addition of blackberry and blueberry puree to the primary fermentor. Probably will have to do a few different test batches and make sure to take detailed notes and report back your findings!

from what i found online:

belgian golden strong ale
hallertau and saaz hops
blackberries and blueberries
25 IBU
10 abv

i took a stab at a recipe, but haven't brewed it yet so no promises on if it is anything close to black and blue:

14.7 lb Pilsen Malt
0.5 lb White Wheat
2 lb Sugar

1.25 oz hallertau hops @ 60 minutes
1 oz saaz @ 40 minutes

48 oz blueberry puree in secondary
48 oz blackberry puree in secondary

wyeast 1388 - belgian strong ale yeast

from what i found online:

belgian golden strong ale
hallertau and saaz hops
blackberries and blueberries
25 IBU
10 abv

i took a stab at a recipe, but haven't brewed it yet so no promises on if it is anything close to black and blue:

14.7 lb Pilsen Malt
0.5 lb White Wheat
2 lb Sugar

1.25 oz hallertau hops @ 60 minutes
1 oz saaz @ 40 minutes

48 oz blueberry puree in secondary
48 oz blackberry puree in secondary

wyeast 1388 - belgian strong ale yeast

This looks pretty solid. The only thing I would be concerned about is the 2lbs of sugar since most of the sugars from the blueberry and blackberries would be simple sugars.

Thanks I'm going to buy the stuff for this and brew it very soon!!! I will let you know how it goes!!!

good point brettwasbtd. I could not find the exact about of gravity added by the oregon purees on hbt, except for one post that said they measured .006 gravity points (=0.8%). So potentially you could drop to 1lb or 1.5lb of sugar and still end up around 10%.

Meant to add this earlier as well:

Mash at 147 for 90 minutes. 90 Minute boil.

Now the there's a few tricks to doing this right and getting the correct flavor profile.

1. You want to make sure the yeast eats all of the maltose. When it starts snacking on that sucrose it can get lazy and not eat enough of the maltose, so you end up with poor attenuation. So what I like to do is leave the sugar out of the boil. Just mash your grains, drain the wort and boil as normal. Cool and pitch your yeast. Then when it hits high krausen (after about 3 days) add the sugar.

By doing this you're ensuring you're not stressing out your yeast with too much to eat at once. You're also getting a healthy fermentation going and your cell count up, and you're giving it a chance to eat the maltose before going to town on the sucrose.

2. Ferment it low and then ramp up. I start fermentation cool at 66 degrees (or as close to it as possible). Wait two or three days after you've added the sugar to the fermenting beer and then just let it free rise, but try to keep it under 75.

3. Carb that sucker up to 3.25 - 3.5 volumes

Thanks for all the helpful pointers. I probably going to brew this next Monday. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Thanks again

Thanks for all the helpful pointers. I probably going to brew this next Monday. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
Thanks again

Sounds good, definitely keep us posted! Another thing I forgot to mention is that it is always worth shooting an email to the brewery. Explain you are a homebrewery and really enjoy that beer and can't get your hands on it that often (since its seasonal right?) and were looking for any information they could give. I did this with a brewery and the head brewer emailed back with very detailed info. So its worth a try, I don't think Sam C has a problem giving out some info either as they are doing real well and he is a great guy. You might be able to get some info on percentages especially regarding the fruit.

Back